Create and using a test object map to test applications
You create a test object map, refine it to more accurately to describe the application, and share the map with other scripts you create to test the application.
Before you begin
To create and edit a test object map that you can use to test an application:
- Create a new test object map. For more information, see Create a new test object map related topic.
When you record a script, Functional Tester creates a test object map (or perhaps uses an existing shared map) for the application-under-test.
- Assign a name that identifies its purpose.
- Start the application to test.
- Include all objects that you want to test in the application. For more information, see Adding objects to an object map topic.
- Edit object properties. For example, you can convert a recognition property value to a regular expression, which allows for more flexibility in the object recognition.
- For each object, describe its purpose to reflect what you would like to see in a script. See Adding test object descriptions related topic.
- Edit descriptions for commonly used test objects. See Edit test object descriptions related topic.
- Record a script. On the Select Script Assets page, in the Test Object Map field, click Browse to select the shared object map you created.
- Play back the script.
You now have a test object map that reflects the application it was designed to test. You can share this map with the scripts you create to test the application. If the test object map is used by many scripts and it becomes necessary to change it, changing recognition and administrative properties in the map allows the associated scripts to run with this improved application definition. When using private test object maps, the application properties must be updated on a per-script basis.
What to do next
Test object maps
New test objects in an object map
Searching for objects in a test object map
Create a new test object map
Merging multiple test object maps
Add objects to a test object map
Insert dynamic test object
Converting dynamic test object
Use ClearCase with test object maps
Add a test object to an object map and a script
Editing object properties
Displaying associated scripts
Renewing a name in associated script(s)
Resetting object names to the default names in associated script(s)
Add test objects to a script
Add test object descriptions
Editing test object descriptions
Delete test objects from an object map
Unifying two test objects
Maintaining a test object map
Renaming a test asset
Update recognition properties
Delete a test object map
Locating a test object in the application