Diagnosing and fixing problems
The purpose of this section is to aid you in understanding why your enterprise application, appserver, or WebSphere Application Server is not working and to help you resolve the problem. Unlike performance tuning which focuses on solving problems associated with slow processes and un-optimized performance, problem determination focuses on finding solutions to functional problems.
The kind of problem you are encountering, and how much you already know about it, determine what steps to take to resolve it:
- For tips on how to investigate common kinds of problems based on the component that is causing the problem, see Troubleshooting by component.
- For help in knowing where to find error and warning messages, interpreting messages, and configuring log files, see Working with message logs.
- Difficult problems can require the use of tracing, which exposes the low-level flow of control and interactions between components. For help in understanding and using traces, see Working with trace.
- For help in adding log and trace capability to your own application, see Programming with the JRas framework.
- For help in using settings or tools to help you diagnose the problem, see Working with troubleshooting tools.Some of these tools are bundled with the product, and others are freely downloadable.
- To find out how to look up documented problems, common mistakes, WAS prerequisites, and other problem-determination information on the WAS public web site, or to obtain technical support from IBM, see Obtaining help from IBM.
- For current information available from IBM Support on known problems and their resolution, see IBM Support page.
- IBM Support has documents that can save you time gathering information needed to resolve this problem. Before opening a PMR, see IBM Support page.
See AlsoWorking with message logs
Debugging with the Application Server Toolkit
Obtaining help from IBM
Troubleshooting by task: What are you trying to do?
Troubleshooting by component: What is not working?
Adding logging and tracing to your application
CORBA minor codes
Diagnosing and fixing problems: Resources for learning
Debugging Service details