Diagnosing and fixing problems: Resources for learning
In addition to the information center, there are several Web-based resources for researching and resolving problems related to the WAS.
The WAS support page
The official site for providing tools and sharing knowledge about WebSphere Application Server problems is the WAS support page: http://www.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/support.html . Among the features it provides are...
- A search field for searching the entire support site for documentation and fixes related to a specific exception, error message, or other problem. Use this search function before contacting IBM Support directly.
- Hints and Tips, Technotes, and Solutions links take you to specific problems and resolutions documented by WebSphere Application Server technical support personnel.
- A link All fixes, fix packs, and tools provides free WebSphere Application Server maintenance upgrades and problem determination tools.
- fixes are software patches which address specific WebSphere Application Server defects. Selecting a specific defect from the list in the All fixes, fix packs, and tools page takes you to a description of what problem the fix addresses.
- Fix packs are bundles of multiple fixes, tested together and released as a maintenance upgrade to WAS. If you select a fix pack from this page, you are taken to a page describing the target platform, WAS prerequisite level, and other related information. Selecting the list defects link on that page displays a list of the fixes which the fix pack includes. If you intend to install an fix which is part of a fix pack, it is usually better to upgrade to the complete fix pack rather than to just install the individual fix.
- Tools are free programs that help you analyze the configuration, behavior and performance of your WAS installation.
Accessing WAS support page resources
Some resources on the WAS support page are marked with a key icon. To access these resources, supply a user ID and password, or to register if do not already have an ID. When registering, you are asked for your contract number, which is supplied as part of a WebSphere Application Server purchase.
WebSphere Developer Domain
The Developer Domains are IBM-supported sites for enabling developers to learn about IBM software products and how to use them. They contain resources such as articles, tutorials, and links to newsgroups and user groups. You can reach the WebSphere Developer Domain at http://www7b.software.ibm.com/wsdd/ .
The IBM Support page
IBM Support has documents that can save you time gathering information needed to resolve this problem. Before opening a PMR, see IBM Support page.