Maintaining and managing i5/OS and related software
This topic indicates how you can manage and maintain i5/OS® licensed programs and fixes in your network. It also describes how you and IBM can manage the usage, documentation, and the maintenance of software license information for certain i5/OS licenses and packaged products
If you are looking for information about software installation, go to the Installing, upgrading, or deleting i5/OS and related software in the information center. Managing these areas is so important for several key reasons:
- The time it takes to operate a system
- Regardless of how big or small a computer system or network is, it can take a significant amount of time to perform the daily operations, such as upgrading software, managing fixes, and resolving system problems. Time spent fixing a problem with a resource is a direct expense. Time spent operating without that resource contributes to lost revenue or increased overhead expense. Time spent upgrading software around the network is time that could have been better spent.
- The costs associated with managing a system
- Money spent managing the system is money that does not produce revenue. It has been estimated that the cost of implementing a distributed computing environment is far less than the cost for the management and support of that environment. Companies who find ways to reduce or eliminate these expenses are the companies who have a better chance of surviving in today's business environment.
- The distribution of data
- In the past, if you had a question about your company's operation, you walked down the hall and talked to the person who had the answer. However, with the globalization of industry and the proliferation of computers, information is no longer centralized but is distributed in nature, making it more difficult to obtain and requiring more people to control and manage it.
To help you manage these areas, iSeries™ Navigator provides a function called Management Central. Management Central provides many tools to manage IBM and non-IBM installed software products, to manage your fixes and software inventory, and to generate online software agreements and license keys.
In addition to using these tools, you can develop an effective strategy for managing and maintaining software.
- What's new for V5R4
This topic highlights the changes for maintaining and managing i5/OS and related software.
- Printable PDF
Use this to view and print a PDF of this information.
- Using software fixes
Keep your i5/OS operating system and other software current with fixes (or program temporary fixes, PTFs). Fixes play an important part in your system's maintenance strategy. Your maintenance strategy can reduce system downtime, add functionality, and provide optimal availability.
- Working with software agreements and licenses
This information describes how you and IBM can manage the usage, documentation, and the maintenance of software license information for certain i5/OS licenses and packaged products.
- Managing software inventory
It is important that you keep your inventory current on your central system to keep an up-to-date view of the i5/OS fixes on the systems that you are managing.
- Building and managing your own software products
In addition to managing IBM® products, you can create and manage your own products.
- Fixes and software inventory related information
Many resources exist to help you manage your fixes and software inventory. This topic shows Web sites for the Software Inventory Utility and Support for IBM System i™, which includes information such as downloading fixes or searching for PSP information.