Configure basic connection properties
You can configure the basic connection properties such as host, terminal type, port, code page, and screen size.
To configure the basic connection properties:
- From the toolbar, click icon to open a connection properties file, and select a connection configuration (.comm) file to connect to the host.
- Type the name or IP address of the host computer.
- Configure the terminal type:
- Select the type of terminal emulation connection to use: TN3270, TN3270E, TN5250, VT default, VT100, VT420-7, VT420-8 or VT UTF8. TN3270 terminal emulation provides connections to an IBM zSeries (System 390) host. TN5250 terminal emulation typically provides connections to an iSeries (AS/400®) host. VT terminal emulation provides connections to a UNIX-like system. The default is TN3270.
Communications Server for z/OS® 1.2 and later introduced a new function called contention resolution. This new function on the client side was introduced in Host On-Demand 7.0.2. If you do not have the latest maintenance levels for Communications Server for z/OS, you might experience COMM655 errors or other endless loop conditions when you try to connect to a z/OS host. The default setting for the HOD layer is to request RFC 2355 Contention Resolution. If you experience such problems, configure the HOD layer so that it does not request RFC 2355 Contention Resolution.
- Optional: Click Advanced to change the contention resolution setting. Scroll down the properties in the Configure optional advanced settings list. Change the setting of negotiateCResolution to false. This applies to the TN3270E terminal only.
- Type the name of the specific Workstation ID on the host. This field is available only if you are using TN5250 terminal emulation. Leave this field blank if you are not sure about the Workstation ID to connect to.
- Type the name of the specific logical unit (LU) or LU pool on the host. This field is available only if you are using TN3270 Enhanced (TN3270E) terminal emulation. Leave this field blank if you are not sure about the LU to connect.
- Type the port number on which the host is configured.
- Select the code page that corresponds to the language that you are using. The default is 037 - United States.
- Select the number of horizontal and vertical characters that can be displayed in the screen size. The default is 24x80.
- Screen size options
You can change the size of the screen to have different numbers of lines and columns, depending on the host system. More lines and columns provides more data on each screen, while fewer lines and columns can be easy to read.
- Code page options
A code page is a particular assignment of code points to graphic characters. Make sure the code page that is used to connect to the host is supported by the host system, and is the one you want to use. The table contains code page options by language and by country/region.
- Remapping keyboard
You can remap a key or a combination of keys to a character or host function using the Keyboard Remap window. You can save your keyboard remapping to a file and load it to use later. You can also turn off key repetition when a key is held down.
- Remapping session screen colors
You can remap the colors of your host session. Color remapping does not persist for subsequent host sessions.
- Sending files from workstation to a host system (3270 host sessions only)
You can send files from a workstation to a host. File transfer is available only for 3270 and 3270E sessions.
- Retrieving files from a host system to the workstation (3270 host sessions only)
You can retrieve files from a host system to the workstation. File transfer is available only for 3270 and 3270E sessions.
Advanced connection properties