Install Rational Functional Tester
This topic provides the instructions for installing IBM Rational Functional Tester .
Before you beginYou must start your installation from the Setup disk, either by running the launchpad program or by running the userinst program.
In the instructions that follow, it is assumed that you started your installation from the Setup disk. If you want Installation Manager to search for the latest available version of the packages you are installing, ensure that you are connected to the Internet.
To install IBM Rational Functional Tester, complete the following steps:
- Depending on your user ID, complete one of the following steps:
- If Installation Manager is not installed on your system or if an older version of Installation Manager is installed, IBM Installation Manager is listed in the Install Packages page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the wizard and install IBM Installation Manager.
- When the installation process completes, click Restart Installation Manager. Installation Manager closes and restarts.
- In the Installation Manager Start page, click Install.
- The Install page of the Install Packages wizard lists all the packages found in the repositories that Installation Manager searched. If two versions of a package are discovered, only the most recent, or recommended, version of the package is displayed.
- To display all versions of any package found by Installation Manager, click Show all versions.
- Click the IBM Rational Functional Tester package to display its description in the Details pane.
- To search for updates to the IBM Rational Functional Tester package, or for extension offerings that can be applied on IBM Rational Functional Tester, click Check for Other Versions and Extensions.
For Installation Manager to search the predefined IBM update repository locations for the installed packages, the preference Search the linked repositories during installation and updates on the Repositories preference page must be selected. This preference is selected by default. Internet access is also required. Installation Manager searches for updates at the predefined IBM update repository for the product package. It also searches any repository locations that you have set. A progress indicator shows the search is taking place. You can install updates at the same time that you install the base product package.
- If updates for the IBM Rational Functional Tester package are found, then they will be displayed in the Installation Packages list on the Install Packages page below their corresponding product. The latest updates are displayed by default.
- To view all updates found for the available packages, click Show all versions.
- To display a package description under Details, click on the package name. If additional information about the package is available, such as a readme file or release notes, a More info link is included at the end of the description text. Click the link to display the additional information in a browser. To fully understand the package you are installing, review all information beforehand.
- Select the IBM Rational Functional Tester package and any updates to the package that you want to install. Updates that have dependencies are automatically selected and cleared together. Click Next to continue.
If you install multiple packages at the same time, then all the packages will be installed into the same package group.
- On the Licenses page, read the license agreement for the selected package.
If you selected more than one package to install, there might be a license agreement for each package. On the left side of the License page, click each package version to display its license agreement. The package versions that you selected to install (for example, the base package and an update) are listed under the package name.
- If you agree to the terms of all of the license agreements, click I accept the terms of the license agreements.
- Click Next to continue.
- On the Location page, type the path for the shared resources directory in the Shared Resources Directory field, or accept the default path. The shared resources directory contains resources that can be shared by one or more package groups. Click Next to continue.
Important: If you are installing on Windows Vista, then to enable users who do not have Administrator privileges to work with Rational Functional Tester , do not choose a directory inside the Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\).
The default path is:
- For Windows: C:\Program Files\IBM\IBMIMShared
- For Linux :/opt/IBM/IBMIMShared
Important: You can specify the shared resources directory only the first time that you install a package. Use your largest disk for this to help ensure adequate space for the shared resources of future packages. You cannot change the directory location unless you uninstall all packages.
- On the Location page, specify whether to create a package group and install the IBM Rational Functional Tester package into a new package group or use an existing package group to shell-share with another offering. A package group represents a directory in which packages share resources with other packages in the same group. To create a new package group:
- Click Create a new package group.
- Type the path for the installation directory for the package group. The name for the package group is created automatically.
The default path is:
- For Windows:C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP
- For Linux:/opt/IBM/SDP
If you are installing on Linux, ensure that you do not include any spaces in the directory path.
Important: On Windows Vista, the Program Files directory is usually virtualized in order to allow users who are not running as the administrator to have write access to this protected directory. However, the virtualization workaround is not compatible with Rational Functional Tester .
- Click Next to continue.
- On the next Location page, you can choose to extend an existing Eclipse IDE already installed on your system, adding the functionality in the packages that you are installing. You must have Eclipse version 3.4.2 with the latest updates from eclipse.org to select this option.
- If you do not want to extend an existing Eclipse IDE, click Next to continue.
- To extend an existing Eclipse IDE:
- Select Extend an existing Eclipse.
- In the Eclipse IDE field, type or navigate to the location of the folder containing the eclipse executable file (eclipse.exe or eclipse.bin). Installation Manager will check if the Eclipse IDE version is valid for the package that you are installing. The Eclipse IDE JVM field displays the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) for the IDE that you specified.
- Click Next to continue.
- On the Features page under Languages, select the languages for the package group. The corresponding national language translations for the user interface and documentation for the IBM Rational Functional Tester package will be installed.
- On the next Features page, select the package features that you want to install.
- Optional: To see the dependency relationships between features, select Show Dependencies.
- Optional: Click a feature to view its brief description under Details.
- Select or clear features in the packages. Installation Manager will automatically enforce any dependencies with other features and display updated download size and disk space requirements for the installation.
- When you are finished selecting features, click Next to continue.
- On the next Help System Features page, select the required option to access the help contents for the product. For more information about the help configuration, see Web-based help content.
- On the Summary page, review your choices before installing the IBM Rational Functional Tester package. If you want to change the choices that you made on previous pages, click Back and make your changes. When you are satisfied with your installation choices, click Install to install the package. A progress indicator shows the percentage of the installation completed.
- When the installation process is complete, a message confirms the success of the process.
- Click View log file to open the installation log file for the current session in a new window.
- Click Finish.