Work with TestManager
If you associate a Functional Tester project with a Rational project, you can play back scripts from TestManager, play back scripts on a remote computer, and view scripts from TestManager.
Before you begin
To use play back scripts from TestManager, create a Rational project using Rational Administrator and associate a Functional Tester project with a Rational project so that TestManager gains access to the Functional Tester project.
When you associate a Functional Tester project with a Rational project, you can:
- Create and play back scripts, including Functional Test scripts, from Rational TestManager.
- Use the TestManager Agent to play back scripts on a remote computer.
- View scripts from the Test Scripts window of Rational TestManager.
You can use the Test Log window of TestManager to:
- Open a log to view a result.
- Filter the data of a log to view only the information you need.
- Open the script that generates a log event in the appropriate script development tool. For example, if you create an Functional Tester script and run it from TestManager, when you click on a log event, Rational Functional Tester opens and displays the script.
- Analyze the results of a test log using the Functional Test Verification Point Comparator. If you use Functional Tester to record scripts and create verification points, you can analyze the results in the Verification Point Comparator to determine why a verification point may have failed.
- Submit a defect for a failed test case or for a failed log event. The log automatically fills in build, configuration, and script information in the Rational ClearQuest® defect form.
- Preview or print data displayed in the active log in the Test Log window.
These integrated features are optional. You can create, view, and play back scripts and view logs from within Functional Tester using it standalone.
Here's a scenario for using Functional Tester with TestManager:
You start Functional Tester, the Rational Test Login appears (if you associate an Functional Tester project with a Rational project).
When you start Functional Tester, if you click Cancel at the Rational Test Login, Functional Tester starts stand-alone without TestManager. You cannot view Functional Tester scripts or logs from TestManager unless you log into the Rational project associated with an Functional Test project.
TestManager gains access to the Functional Test project. From TestManager, you can run an Functional Tester script, and view log information about Functional Tester scripts from the TestManager log.
You create a new script from TestManager:
- Click the Record Functional Tester GUI Script button on the TestManager toolbar.
- Click File > Record > GUI Functional Tester.
TestManager starts Functional Tester or brings it on top of other windows and opens the Create New Functional Tester script dialog box.
You view Functional Tester scripts from the Test Scripts window of TestManager:
From TestManager, click View > Test Scripts.
Click Functional Test GUI Script to see Functional Tester scripts.
- Right-click an Functional Test script or Functional Tester project, and click Run, Open Test Script, or Record Test Script.
TestManager starts Functional Tester.
You cannot open an Functional Test Helper file from the Test Scripts window of TestManager.
To open a Functional Tester Helper file:
- From Functional Tester, click Navigate > Show in Navigator View.
- Click the resources folder and double-click a Functional Tester Helper file.
You run a script from TestManager:
From TestManager, click File > Run Test Script > GUI - Functional Tester - <name of Functional Tester project>.
- Select a Functional Tester script.
- Right-click the script and then click Open.
- Select the computer on which to run the script.
- Click Change to change information about the log, and then click OK.
TestManager starts Functional Tester and runs the script. You set Functional Tester logging preferences to view a TestManager log with Functional Tester log events. The Test Log window of TestManager appears after you run an Functional Tester script.
In the Details tab, right-click a failed verification point event and click View > Verification Point.
TestManager starts the Functional Tester Verification Point Comparator to help you analyze a failure. You right-click a failed event in the Event Type column of the Test Log window, and then click Submit Defect or Open Script. TestManager starts Rational ClearQuest and you can submit a defect. TestManager starts Functional Tester and opens your script. You want to use a report to analyze Functional Test test results. Run a TestManager coverage report or other reports.
For more information about using TestManager, see the Rational TestManager Help.