View results in the log
You can set the log preferences to view a log from Rational Functional Tester or from the Test Log window of Rational TestManager. You can view, rename, or delete a log from the Functional Tester Projects view.
Setting log preferences
You can set your log preferences to view a log from Rational Functional Tester or from the Test Log window of Rational TestManager.
Note About TestManager Integration: Functional Tester is integrated with Rational TestManager version 7.0.2. If you have the 7.0.2 version of TestManager, you will be able to use the integrated features of Functional Tester and TestManager.
If you use Rational TestManager to view a log, use the Rational Administrator to give write privileges that allow Functional Tester users to run Functional Tester scripts, and manage and view logs from TestManager. If you do not give write privileges to the appropriate Functional Tester users, TestManager does not create a log or play back the Functional Tester script. For information about privileges and the Test Group dialog box, see the Rational Administrator Help.
To set the log preferences:
- Click Window > Preferences.
- On the left pane, expand Functional Tester , expand Playback, and click Logging.
- Select Display log viewer after script playback to open up the log automatically after playback.
- Select any other logging options.
- Set the viewing preferences in the Log type list:
- To view a Functional Test log from Rational Functional Tester , clear the Use Default check box, and select Text, HTML, or XML.
If you select Text, the text log file opens in the Functional Tester Script Window.
If you select HTML, the HTML log file opens in your default browser.
To view the results of a particular verification point from the HTML log, click View Results at the end of a verification point entry. The Verification Point Comparator displays the baseline and actual files side by side if the verification point failed, so you can compare the data.
If you get an error about the Java plug-in when you click the View Results link in the HTML log, verify that your plug-in is configured properly.
If you select XML, the XML log file opens in your default browser.
- To view a log from the Test Log window of TestManager, select TestManager.
(This is the default behavior if TestManager is installed.) TestManager stores logs as part of a Rational project and opens the log in the Test Log window.
- If you select TPTP, the TPTP log file opens in the Functional Tester Script Window.
- Click Apply to save the new settings and to continue changing options, or click OK to save the new setting and to close the Preferences dialog box.
View logs from the Functional Tester Projects view
You can open a log from the Functional Test Projects view. In Functional Tester Projects view, the HTML, XML, and text logs are listed within each project. The log list appears underneath the project, with the same name and _logs added. For example, projectname_logs.
- To view a log, select a log in the Functional Tester Projects view and right-click Open Log.
- To open the log in the Verification Point Editor, select a log in the Functional Tester Projects view and right-click Open VP.
- To open a log in the Verification Point Comparator, select the log in the Functional Tester Projects view and right-click Open Comparator.
View Dojo log
The Dojo log is based on the XML log and displays a graphical representation of the test result. You can use Dojo log to select the filter, view the verification points, failed verdicts, warning verdicts, and the detailed information on each action recorded in the script. The Dojo log opens in your default browser after script execution.
To view a Dojo log:
- Start Functional Tester.
- Record a script.
- Click Window > Preferences.
- On the left pane, expand Functional Tester > Playback.
- Click Logging.
- Ensure that the Use Default checkbox is unchecked.
- Select xml from the Log type list, and click OK.
- Playback your script. The Dojo log is displayed in your default web browser.
For detailed information about Viewing Dojo logs in the Firefox browser, see Unable to view Dojo logs in Firefox version 3.0.
Renaming and deleting logs
You can rename and delete logs from the Functional Tester Projects view.
- To rename a log, select a log in the Functional Tester Projects view and right-click Rename.
- To delete a log, select a log in the Functional Tester Projects view and right-click Delete.
Functional test logs
Managed logs and Rational TestManager
Verification Point Comparator
Edit Test Object Appearance dialog box