Managed logs and Rational TestManager
When you create a Functional Tester project, you can use the project separately, or associate it with a Rational project to take advantage of the integration features with TestManager.
After you run a suite or a script, TestManager writes the results to a log. You use the Test Log window of TestManager to view the logs. For more information about suites or managing logs, see the TestManager Help.
A testing cycle can have many individual tests for specific areas of an application. Reviewing test results in the Test Log window reveals whether each test passed or failed. Review and analysis of the results help determine the progress of your software development effort and whether a failure is a defect or a design change.
You can use the Test Log window of TestManager to:
- View results.
- Filter log data.
- Open the script that generates a log event in the appropriate script development tool. For example, if you create a Functional Tester script and run it from TestManager, when you click a log event, Functional Tester opens the script.
- Analyze the results of a log in the Functional Tester Verification Point Comparator.
- Submit a defect for a failed test case or for a failed log event. The log fills in build, configuration, and script information in the Rational ClearQuest® defect form.
- Preview or print data displayed in the active log in the Test Log window.
- When you associate a Functional Tester project with a Rational project and set the Functional Tester logging preferences to TestManager, the logs generated appear after you run a script are TestManager logs. TestManager stores these logs as part of a Rational project. For information about using the Test Log window of TestManager, see the Rational TestManager Help.
- You must use the Rational Administrator to give write privileges that allow Functional Tester users to run Functional Tester scripts, manage, and view Functional Tester logs from TestManager. If you do not give write privileges to the appropriate Functional Tester users, TestManager does not create a log or play back the Functional Tester script. For information about privileges and the Test Group dialog box, see the Rational Administrator Help.
Note About TestManager Integration: Functional Tester is integrated with Rational TestManager version 7.0.2. If you have the 7.0.2 version of TestManager, you will be able to use the integrated features of Functional Tester and TestManager.
Functional test logs
View results in the log