iSeries Navigator for Wireless
iSeries™ Navigator for Wireless is an i5/OS® program that runs on a Web application server. With iSeries Navigator for Wireless, administrators can remotely monitor and manage system performance, status, jobs, and messages using an Internet-ready telephone, a personal digital assistant (PDA) with a wireless modem, or a traditional Web browser on a workstation.
Managing multiple systems is one of the more challenging aspects of running a growing business. IBM introduced Management Central to help administrators manage their systems. Users have enjoyed the ease, flexibility, and power of Management Central. From managing fixes and running commands across multiple systems to viewing real-time graphs of their systems performance, administrators have used Management Central to do their jobs much more efficiently.
With iSeries Navigator for Wireless, administrators have more flexibility in how they access and interact with Management Central.
After you have configured iSeries Navigator for Wireless to run on a Web server on your central system, enter the system URL into your Internet-ready telephone, PDA, or browser to perform the following tasks:
- Watch system status.
- View properties of the system.
- View detailed summaries:
- Packages and products
- Collection services
- Users and groups
- System values
- Manage Integrated xSeries® Servers: Run commands on all Integrated xSeries Servers at the same time or on just one server, and start or shut down the servers.
- Run i5/OS commands across multiple systems.
- View and interact with monitors:
- System monitors: View the metrics and current values being monitored, as well as the top 20 items (jobs, disk units, and so forth) that make up the metric value. Work with jobs listed in the monitor (display details, hold, release, end).
- Job and message monitors: View all jobs and messages across systems matching monitor criteria. See metrics and current values being monitored. Work with the jobs and messages listed in the monitor (display details, hold, release, end, delete, reply).
- File monitors: View detailed status of files, including system path, size, date modified, and the text that triggered the file.
- B2B activity monitors: View business-to-business transaction details, and see metrics and current values being monitored.
- Limit what users can do by enabling read-only support, or by setting user-access levels with Application Administration. Allow users to view status information without the ability to take action.
This information is intended to help you start using iSeries Navigator for Wireless by providing tips on which devices to use, how to install and configure the required elements, and by giving you an overview of the functions.
- What's new for V5R4
This topic highlights changes to iSeries Navigator for Wireless in V5R4.
- Printable PDF
Use this to view and print a PDF of this information.
- Setting up iSeries Navigator for Wireless
To use iSeries Navigator for Wireless, meet certain software and hardware requirements. You must decide which kind of wireless device to use and what kind of applications install and configure.
- Managing your systems with iSeries Navigator for Wireless
You can manage your systems from a wireless device. Use iSeries Navigator for Wireless to interact with monitors in Management Central and in Integrated xSeries Servers. You can run commands, work with tasks and systems, and control user access.
- Related information for iSeries Navigator for Wireless
Listed below are the System i™ manuals and IBM® Redbooks™ (in PDF format), Web sites, and information center topics that relate to the iSeries Navigator for Wireless topic. You can view or print any of the PDFs.