Create application servers
You can use wsadmin with one of the following...
...to create new application servers.
You can also use the Create New Application Server wizard in the admin console.
Application servers are also created when you add a cluster member to a server cluster.
With WAS v6, one can now upgrade a portion of the nodes in a cell, while leaving others at the older release level. This means that, for a period of time, you may be managing servers that are at the current release and servers that are running the newer release in the same cell. In this mixed environment, there are restrictions on what you can do with servers at the older release level. They are:
- You can only create new server definitions on nodes that are running WAS v6.
- When you create a new server definition, use a server configuration template, and that template must be created from a WAS v6 server instance. You cannot create (or use) a template from a WAS V5.x server instance.
There are no restrictions on what one can do with the servers running on the newer release level.
Create and application server using the admin console
- In the admin console, go to...Application Servers | New
...which brings you to the Create New Application Server page.
- Select a node for the application server.
- Type in a name for the application server. The name must be unique within the node.
- Select a template to be used in creating the new server.
You can use a default application server template for your new server or use an existing application server as a template. The new application server will inherit all properties of the template server.
- Select whether the new server will have unique ports for each HTTP transport.
By default, this option is enabled. If you select this option, you might need to update the alias list for the virtual host that you plan to use with this server to contain these new port values. If you deselect this option, ensure that the default port values do not conflict with other servers on the same physical machine.
- If you create the new server using an existing application server as a model, select whether to map applications from the existing server to the new server. By default, this option is disabled.
- To use multiple language encoding support in the administrative console, configure an application server with UTF-8 encoding enabled.
- The new application server appears in the list of servers on the Application Servers page.
Note that the application server created has many default values specified for it. An application server has many properties that can be set and creating an application server on the Create New Application Server page specifies values for only a few of the important properties. To view all of the properties of your application server and to customize your application server further, click on the name of your application server on the Application Servers page and change the settings for your application server as needed.
Configuring application servers for UTF-8 encoding
Creating server templates
Listing server templates
Delete server templates
Understanding server templates
Getting started with scripting