Create a backup directory on unsupported V4.0.x operating systems
OverviewThis topic applies to installations of WebSphere Application Server Advanced Server Single Edition (AEs) and Advanced Edition (AE) V4.0.x that are running on the AIX 4.3.3 or Solaris 7 operating systems. Due to limitations of the JDK used by WAS V6, one cannot use the WASPreUpgrade command that comes with the WAS V6 product CD with these operating systems. To create the backup directory used as input to the WASPostUpgrade command, use the following steps.
- Optional: Upgrade your operating system. If you choose to upgrade your system, you do not need to proceed to the following steps. AIX provides an "OS migration" path from release 4.3.3 to release 5.1 that retains your current system configuration. Solaris provides an "OS Upgrade" path from Solaris 7 to Solaris 8 that does the same. Consult your operating system documentation for details.
- Manually create the backup directory:
- For both AE and AEs, the first step is to back up the common set of configuration files. The following example reflects an AIX installation. You may have to update many of the values in this example to reflect your configuration requirements, or to reflect a different operating system.cp -R /websphere/appserver/bin /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/bin cp -R /websphere/appserver/classes /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/classes cp -R /websphere/appserver/config /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/config cp -R /websphere/appserver/installableApps /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/installableApps cp -R /websphere/appserver/installedApps /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/installedApps cp -R /websphere/appserver/lib/app /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/lib/app cp -R /websphere/appserver/properties /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/properties
where /websphere/backup is the location of the backup directory you are creating.
Note: Some of the above directories may not exist on all systems.
- For AE only, the following additional steps are required:
- Save the following configuration filescopy /websphere/appserver/installedConnectors to /websphere/backup/websphere_backup/installedConnectors
- Use the V4.0.x XMLConfig tool to export the current configuration. Before exporting an AE configuration to a file, be sure that the administrative server is running. See the V4.0 AE XMLConfig documentation for further details on the following parameters:
Sample export command for V4.0.xXMLConfig -export /websphere/backup/websphere_backup.xml -adminNodeName cally
What to do nextTar or zip up the /websphere/backup directory and continue with Step 5 of Migrating from an operating system that is no longer supported.
Migrating from an operating system that is no longer supported
WebSphere is a trademark of the IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM is a trademark of the IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
AIX is a trademark of the IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.