Create an audio fileCreate a recording of yourself saying your name so that others hear it pronounced correctly.
About this taskTo create an audio file on a Microsoft™ Windows™ 2000 or Microsoft Windows XP system, perform the following steps:
- Select Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Sound Recorder.
- Click the Record button, say your full name, speaking as clearly as possible, and then click the Stop button. Click the Play button to listen to the recording.
- Check the size of the recording by clicking File -> Properties. The data size must be smaller than 100 KB.
- To rerecord the audio file, click File -> New, and select No when prompted to save the recording. Repeat step 2 to rerecord. Follow these tips to improve the quality of the recording:
- If the recording is inaudible, make sure that the microphone is enabled. Select Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Volume Control, then select Options -> Properties. Choose Recording, select Microphone, and then click OK. Drag the volume slider for the microphone up to the maximum level.
- If the recording is unclear or the file produced is too large (over 100 KB), configure the sound recorder. Select Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Sound Recorder. Select File -> Properties, and then click Convert Now. In the Format field, select PCM and in the Attributes field, select 8.000 kHz, 8 bit, Mono. Click OK, and then click OK to close the Properties window.
- After you have produced a recording that is clear, audible, and smaller than 100 KB, select File -> Save As to save it. Type a name for the file and choose a directory to save it to. Make a note of the name and location, so that you can retrieve it when you upload the file to your profile. Specify the file type – IBM Connections supports the use of .wav and .wma files so be sure to specify one of these file types. Then click Save.
What to do nextTo create an audio file on a Linux™ system, use the record command or use a sound recording utility.
Add a pronunciation file to your profile