Create a blog entryYou can contribute to any blog for which you have owner, author, or draft permission. The autosave feature lets you resume work on entries in progress.
About this taskThe permission you are granted by the blog owner controls whether you can post an entry directly to the blog or whether you can create a draft entry that must be approved by the owner before it gets posted. The permissions are as follows:
- Owner permission allows user to post entries, manage the blog and its users
- Author permission allows user to post entries, but not to manage the blog
- Draft permission allows user to save draft entries only
Note: As you create or edit an entry, your work is automatically saved every 15 minutes, unless the site administrator changes the interval. If you leave an entry in an unsaved state when you log out of Blogs, the next time you log in, a notification appears at the top of each page reminding you that you have an unsaved entry. From that notification message you can click Edit to open the entry and resume work on it, or Discard to delete the entry.
- Open the blog that you want to contribute to, and click New Entry or click the New Entry button on the Public Blogs page.
- Enter a title for your entry.
- Enter the text for your entry.
- Enter tags for your entry.
Tags are keywords that you can assign to describe the content in your entry. Tags make searching for content easier for blog readers. Note that tags must be entered as single words, or multiple words connected with hyphens or underscores. For example, social-bookmarking, status_reports, and payroll would all be valid tags.
- Click Advanced Settings to control these settings:
- Allow characters to be converted into emoticons.
- Delay posting an entry to a blog until a time and date that you specify.
- Limit the number of days for posting comments for the entry.
- Specify a custom URL– that is, you can enter some text that replaces the entry title in the URL that points to this entry.
- To include an external media link, such as a video, in a feed that includes this entry, enter the URL in the External media URL field.
For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2j0YOqKoo.
When this entry is posted and viewed from a feed reader, the media will be available in the entry.
- Click Post to Blog to publish your entry to the blog or Preview to review your entry before posting.
If you have Draft permission, your options will be Submit for Review and Save as Draft instead of Post to Blog. If the blog is moderated, which means that content must be reviewed and approved before it is published in the blog, your post will not appear in the blog until a moderator approves it.
Add an image to a blog posting
Enhance your blog postings with image files.
Add a video to your blog posting
You can include a video in a blog posting to make it available to readers.
Edit or deleting an entry
If you have the appropriate permissions, you can edit an entry to change the content or status, or to delete it from the blog.
Use third-party blog editors to create entries for your blog
You can set up your blog so that you can use a third-party editing tool to create blog entries.
Parent topicBlogs overviews, how-tos, and FAQs