IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Application Diagnostics, Version 220.127.116.11
DB Connection Pools workspace
This workspace displays information about the database connection pools associated with each application server.
You can use this workspace to monitor Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) performance for WAS applications. This workspace displays data provided by the DB Connection Pools attributes.
- This workspace reports blanks for resource data on the first invocation if PMI data collection is configured for on-demand sampling (that is, if your site set configuration value Resource Data Collection Method to On Demand) or if you have not yet run applications that generate PMI resource data. To report resource data in this workspace after installing and configuring the data collector, use the WebSphere administrative console to set the appropriate PMI instrumentation level.
- Because of the high overhead, the Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Agent provides on demand sampling by default. To activate PMI monitoring, first select this workspace and then select it again later. Each time you select the workspace, it displays the data collected during the interval between selections.
The predefined workspace contains the following items:
- Highest Average Pool Sizes bar chart, which shows the largest average size (that is, number of connections) for each database connection pool
- Worst Wait Times bar chart, which shows the worst wait times (in milliseconds) for each database connection pool
- Highest Allocation Rates bar chart, which shows the rate at which database connections are being made for each connection pool
- DB Connection Pools report, which displays information about the database connection pool for each defined data source. The report also displays an aggregated value that aggregates over all data sources. For example, this report displays the number of threads waiting for a connection and the number of connections created and released
Access the DB Connection Pools workspace
To access this workspace:
- In the Navigator, expand Windows Systems, Linux Systems, z/OS Systems, or UNIX Systems, as appropriate for the node you are monitoring.
- Within the node list, expand the entry that corresponds to the node you want to select.
- Within that node list of monitored applications, expand the list of WebSphere agents.
- Within the list of available agents, expand the WebSphere application server entry of your choice.
- Within that server list of available WAS workspaces, click the DB Connection Pools entry.
Selected DB Connection Pool - History workspace
The Selected DB Connection Pool - History workspace displays historical information that corresponds to the information in the DB Connection Pools workspace for a selected connection pool. Historical information is collected over a specific time span. See the online help for Tivoli Enterprise Portal for a detailed explanation of historical reporting.
Access the Selected DB Connection Pool - History workspace
To access this workspace from the DB Connection Pools workspace, use one of the following procedures:
- From the DB Connection Pools report, right-click the link icon to the left of any row; then, from the pop-up menu, click Selected DB Connection Pool - History.
- From the Highest Average Pool Sizes bar chart, the Worst Wait Times bar chart, or the Highest Allocation Rates bar chart, right-click any bar; then, from the pop-up menu, click Link To > Selected DB Connection Pool - History.
Access the Managing Server Visualization Engine from the DB Connection Pools workspace
In the Tivoli Enterprise Portal access the DB Connection Pools workspace. You can use the Diagnostic Server Activity Display link to access the Managing Server Visualization Engine. For information about access requirements see Prerequisites for access.
- In the DB Connection Pools window, right click the choose link icon then click Diagnostic Server Activity Display.
- If this is your first time to access the Managing Server Visualization Engine during a session, you see a Welcome to the Application Monitor page.
- Depending on the user setup configuration in your environment you may or may not have to type your Managing Server Visualization Engine User Name and Password. If you do, you only need to log in using your User Name and Password once per session.
- Click OK to display the Server Activity Display page in the Managing Server Visualization engine. You can use link to diagnose application problems, for example, slow transactions or high response times.
- The results relate directly to the context from where you launched the link in the Tivoli Enterprise Portal. For more information about using the Server Activity Display page and additional features, refer to the Composite Application Manager help within the Managing Server Visualization Engine Interface.
- To return to the previous workspace in the Tivoli Enterprise Portal interface at any time choose from the following options:
- from the Tivoli Enterprise Portal desktop client, click the back arrow on your web browser.
- from the Tivoli Enterprise Portal browser client, click the browser back arrow.
- Workspace link to Managing Server Visualization Engine
- Access the Managing Server Visualization Engine from the Tivoli Enterprise Portal
Parent topic:Workspaces for ITCAM Agent for WebSphere Applications