IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Application Diagnostics, Version 126.96.36.199
Install Managing Server components on multiple hosts
To optimize performance and reliability, it is often best practice to install Managing Server components on different hosts.
By default, all components of the Managing Server are deployed on one host. The components are as follows:
- Visualization Engine
- Data Access Layer
- Problem Finder Engine
- Publish Server - two instances
- Archive Agent - two instances
- Message Dispatcher
- Global Publish Server
To provide load balancing and optimize resource use, you can install the Managing Server across up to four servers, using any combination of the following methods:
- You can run the Managing Server Visualization Engine (user interface component) on a separate server. In this case, only this host requires a full installation of WAS. This solution improves performance and stability of the user interface. The Data Access Layer and Problem Finder Engine run on the same host as the Visualization Engine.
- You can use a separate server for the database management system (DB2 or Oracle).
- You can use a split installation to spread the backend Managing Server components (kernel, Publish Server, Archive Agent) among two hosts. This is especially useful if you are monitoring a large amount (100 or more) of application server instances, or if you intend to use high monitoring levels (L2/ L3) often, for example in a development or testing environment; in this case, also ensure good network connectivity between the hosts. Also, if your network spans multiple sites, you can configure the Managing Server to assign each data collector to the Publish Server located on the same site.
For more information on installing the Managing Server components on several hosts, see the section on split installation in ITCAM for Application Diagnostics Managing Server Installation Guide.
Parent topic:Considerations for the Managing Server