Create new users and groups
Use this topic to create new users and groups using the portlet and adding them to an existing group.
The objective of this task is to step you through the process of creating new users and groups.
To complete this task, we must have at least the Editor@USERS role to create users, and the Editor@USER_GROUPS role to create user groups. USERS and USER_GROUPS are virtual resources.
The portlets used in this task are Users and Groups
- Log in to the portal as an administrator, and click...
Administration | Access | Users and Groups
- Select the user group for the user.
- Click New User or New Group.
If new User and New Group do not display in virtual portals, assign the Editor role for for the following virtual resources: USER, USER GROUPS, and USER SELF ENROLLMENT.
- If we are creating a new user group, enter a name for the user group.
- If we are creating a new user, do the following tasks:
- Enter a user ID for the new user
The user ID must be 3 - 60 characters in length.
- Enter and confirm a password for the new user.
The password must be unique and 5 - 60 characters in length.
- Enter a first name for the new user.
- Enter a last name for the new user.
- Optional: Enter an email address for the new user. This field is not needed for successful creation of a new user.
If we use an LDAP server for the users and groups, the LDAP configuration might place additional restrictions on user and group names. For example, the LDAP configuration might require user names and passwords to be a minimum of 8 characters in length.
- Select Preferred language from the drop-down list.
This field is not needed for successful creation of a new user. If we do not select a preferred language or if the language is not supported by the portal, the default language is the default WebSphere Portal language.
- Click OK.
User IDs and passwords