< Previous | Next >
Lesson 2: Record a simplified test script
In this lesson, you record a simplified test script by using the recorder to test the Java application that is installed with the product.
- To start recording, click the Record a Functional Test Script icon () in the Functional Test toolbar.
- Select the SimplifyTutorial project that you created in Lesson 1.
- In Script name, type Order. Do not select the Add script to Source Control, if it is available.
- Click Next.
When you create a test script, a test datapool and other test assets are created. Use the defaults for Private Test Datapool and Sequential. A private test datapool is associated with only one script and is not available to any other scripts. When you use the sequential order, the test script accesses datapool records in the order that they are arranged in the datapool.
- Click Finish.
The Functional Tester window automatically minimizes, and the Recording Monitor is displayed.
The Functional Tester Recording Monitor toolbar is displayed every time you begin recording a simplified script. You can minimize the monitor if you do not want to see the monitor on the screen. You can also resize the monitor. Click the Display Monitor icon () to view the monitor messages. Leave the monitor displayed during this tutorial. The monitor displays messages for every action that you perform during your recording session, such as starting and pausing the recording, starting an application or browser, clicking within an application, inserting verification points, and inserting other items into the script.
Start the application and record the actions
Next, open the ClassicsJavaA application and record placing an order in the application.
- To start the test application, click the Start Application icon ().
- In the Start Application window, select ClassicsJavaA, and then click OK.
The tutorial sample application, ClassicsCD, opens. If the recording monitor is in front of the application, you can drag it to the lower right corner of the screen.
- Click the plus sign (+) next to Bach to open the list of CDs for sale by that composer, and then click Violin Concertos.
- Click Details page to view the description of the album.
- Click Place Order.
- In the Member Logon window, keep the default settings of Existing Customer and Trent Culpito
- Type xxxx in the Password field.
- Click OK.
- In the Place an Order window, type 1234 1234 1234 1234 in the Card Number field, and then type 12/12 in the Expiration Date field.
In this lesson you learned these tasks:
- How to start recording a test script
- How to use recording monitor
- How to open the test application
< Previous | Next >