Logging and Tracing page
IBM IBM Rational Functional Tester allows you to collect the errors and warning messages into a log file (rft_log.txt). Similarly, it provides the facility to collect debug information as trace data into a trace file (rft_trace.txt). The logging and tracing functionality is controlled through certain configurable parameters such as level, file size, directory. With IBM Rational Functional Tester you can configure the ‘level' parameter for individual components. If a log and trace level is not defined explicitly for a component, then it defaults to the overall setting defined in the general page. With IBM Rational Functional Tester, you can set the preferences for logging and tracing through an user interface.
The General page contains the following fields:
- Log Level
- Select the log level from the list. With the log level you can control the amount and type of log information that must be generated in the log file. For example, if you select INFORMATION level, all the log messages that are classified as information, warning, error, fatal, and severe is generated in the log. To minimize the amount of logging, select FATAL. If you select CONFIG, all log messages are generated.
- Log File Size (in KB)
- Specify the maximum size of the log file in kilobytes. The default size is 2048 KB, and the minimum size of the log file is 1024 KB. If the size of the log file exceeds the specified limit, it is renamed to rft_log_x.txt (where x is an incremental number).
- Log File Path
- Type the log file path in the Log File Path field. The log file generated (rft_log.txt) is saved in this directory.
You must enable the tracing option, if you want to generate the trace files.
- Trace Level
- Select the trace level from the list. With the trace level you can control the amount and type of trace information that must be generated in the trace file. The trace level gives you detailed debugging information for IBM Rational Functional Tester and the application-under-test during recording and playback.
- Trace File Size (in KB)
- Specify the maximum size of the trace file in kilobytes. The default size is 2048 KB, and the minimum size of the trace file is 1024 KB. If the size of the trace file exceeds the specified limit, it is renamed to rft_trace_x.txt (where x is an incremental number).
- Trace File Path
- Type the trace file path in the Trace File Path field. The trace file generated (rft_trace.txt) is saved in this directory.
Log Components and Trace Components
The component level settings take precedence over the general settings. The components are not predefined. You can add and remove components by clicking the Add and Remove buttons.
- Log Components
- On the Log Components pages, you define the log level settings for each component.
- Trace Components
- On the Trace Components pages, you define the trace level settings for each component.
To open: Click Window > Preferences. In the left pane, expand Functional Test and click Logging and Tracing.
Collecting IBM Rational Functional Tester error logs