Create a datapool
A datapool is a test dataset, a collection of related data records which supplies realistic data values to the variables in a test script during test script playback. You can create data from scratch or import existing data into a new datapool from another Functional Tester datapool, an IBM Rational TestManager datapool, or a .csv file.
Before you beginWhen you work with datapools, follow the following rules:
- When you import data, import the data into the same Functional Tester project as the test scripts that access the data.
- If you want to import data from a TestManager datapool, first associate a Functional Tester project with a Rational project to use the TestManager datapool.
To create a datapool:
- Click Create a Test Datapool ().
- Perform the following steps:
- Either type the path to the folder you want or use the navigation tools (Home , Back , and Go Into ) to select the path.
- Type the name of the new datapool.
- If you create the Functional Tester project in a ClearCase® directory, optionally, select Add the datapool to ClearCase.
- Perform one of the following steps:
- To create an empty datapool, if there is a filename in the Import From list, select the filename and delete it, and then click Finish.
- To import data into the datapool, click Next, and then go to next step.
- To import data from a Functional Tester or IBM Rational TestManager datapool, or from a .csv file perform one of the following steps:
- To import a .csv file:
- Type the path and filename of an existing .csv file, click the Import From arrow to select from a list of ten recently imported files, or click Browse to select the path and filename.
- Type one to three field separator characters to use in the file you want to import.
Functional Tester must use the same field separator character as the one used in the .csv file from which you are importing data. If you are not sure which field separator characters to specify, use a text editor to open the .csv file and see the field separator characters that are used.
- Select First Record is Variable Information to make the first row of the imported data, the header of a new datapool.
If you clear First Record is Variable Information, the first record in the .csv file is imported as data and the headers use the default headers, such as data0, data1, etc. First Record is Variable Information is unavailable if the file you select to import is not a .csv file or not a TestManager file.
- To import a Functional Tester datapool, perform any one of the following steps:
- Click the Import From arrow to display a list of ten recently imported files, and then select a Functional Tester datapool from the list.
- Type the path and filename of an existing Functional Tester datapool.
- Click Browse to select the path and filename of an existing Functional Tester Datapool.
- To import a TestManager (TM) datapool, click Browse TM to select the path and filename of the TestManager datapool you want to import. Functional Tester automatically extracts the header information from the associated TestManager .spc file.
- Click Finish. A new datapool appears.
Work with datapools
Import Datapool dialog box