Product overview > Tutorials, examples, and samples > REST data services sample and tutorial > Configure application servers for the REST data service
Start REST data services with WebSphere eXtreme Scale integrated in WAS 7.0
This topic describes how to configure and start the eXtreme Scale REST data service using WebSphere Application Server version 7.0 that has been integrated and augmented with WebSphere eXtreme Scale.
Before you beginVerify that the sample stand-alone eXtreme Scale data grid is started. See Enable the REST data service for details on how to start the data grid.
To get started with the WebSphere eXtreme Scale REST data service using WAS, follow these steps:
- Add the WebSphere eXtreme Scale REST data service sample configuration JAR to the classpath:
- Open the WebSphere Administration Console
- Navigate to Environment -> Shared libraries
- Click New
- Add the following entries into the appropriate fields:
- Name: extremescale_gettingstarted_config
Remember: Each path must appear on a different line.
- Click OK
- Save the changes to the master configuration
- Install the REST data service EAR file, wxsrestservice.ear, to the WebSphere Application Server using the WebSphere administration console:
- Open the WebSphere administration console
- Navigate to Applications -> New Application
- Browse to restservice_home/lib/wxsrestservice.ear file on the file system. Select the file and click Next.
- Choose the detailed installation options, and click Next.
- On the application security warnings screen, click Continue.
- Choose the default installation options, and click Next.
- Choose a server to map the wxsrestservice.war module to, and click Next.
- On the JSP reloading page, use the defaults, and click Next.
- On the shared libraries page, map the "wxsrestservice.war" module to the following shared libraries that were defined during step 1: extremescale_ gettingstarted _config
- On the map shared library relationship page, use the defaults, and click Next.
- On the map virtual hosts page, use the defaults, and click Next.
- On the map context roots page, set the context root to: wxsrestservice.
- On the Summary screen, click Finish to complete the installation.
- Save the changes to the master configuration.
If the eXtreme Scale data grid was started with eXtreme Scale security enabled, set the following property in the restservice_home/gettingstarted/restclient/bin/wxsRestService.properties file.
- Start the application server and the "wxsrestservice " eXtreme Scale REST data service application.
After the application is started review the SystemOut.log for the application server and verify that the following message appears: CWOBJ4000I: The WebSphere eXtreme Scale REST data service has been started.
- Verify that the REST data service is working:
- Open a browser and navigate to:
The service document for the NorthwindGrid is displayed.
- Navigate to:
The Entity Model Data Extensions (EDMX) document is displayed
- To stop the data grid processes, use CTRL+C in the respective command window to stop the process.
Parent topic:Configure application servers for the REST data service
Start REST data services in WAS v7.0
Start the REST data service in WAS Community Edition
Start REST data services in Apache Tomcat