Develop > Presentation layer > Management Center framework > Customize the Management Center user interface > Customizing an existing Management Center tool
Changing existing Management Center messages and labels
You can change existing messages and labels within the Management Center tools. Rather than hard-coding UI text in the OpenLaszlo class files, include all message text in resource properties files, and associate the files with resource keys. This way, you maintain the UI code in one area (the OpenLaszlo file) and the messages in another (properties file). This is particularly useful if you have messages that will change often or require translation.
To change an existing Management Center message:
- Open WebSphere Commerce Developer and switch to the Enterprise Explorer view.
- In the Enterprise Explorer view, expand LOBTools > Java Resources > src > com.ibm.commerce.Management_Center_component.client.lobtools.properties , where Management_Center_component is the name of the tool to customize.
- Identify the properties file that contains the message that to change. Do not change the original properties file; for example, the CatalogLOB_en_US.properties file. Only view this file for reference. The original properties file contains a list of keys for all the messages within the Management Center for the tool you have selected. Within the properties file, identify the key-message combination that to change. Copy this key.
An example of a key-message combination:
where masterCatalogFilterTitle is the key and Master Catalog is the string.
- In the Enterprise Explorer view, expand LOBTools > Java Resources > src > extension > Management_Center_component , where Management_Center_component is the name of the tool to customize, and create a new properties file with the same name as the properties file to change (for example, CatalogLOB_en_US.properties). If the extension and Management_Center_component folders do not exist we will need to create them.
- Double-click the extensions properties file and paste the key to this file, using the new message text.
What to do nextAfter you complete the customization:
- Save the changes. WebSphere Commerce Developer saves the changes.
- Test the changes by viewing them in the Management Center, using this URL: https://hostname:8000/lobtools?developmentMode=true
- Deploy your changes to the production environment.
Management Center shell
Management Center user interface