Submit jobs to collect inventory data
In a flexible management environment, we can submit the Inventory job to refresh data on job types and on managed resources of the job manager. When a target is a host, the collected data includes information on the host such as operating system name, version, Installation Manager, package group, packages, profiles, and other resources. If we installed a product that adds job types on a managed target, run the Inventory job to refresh data on job types and target resources. We can view the refreshed data in the job manager console or by wsadmin scripts.
Ensure that the targets for which we want data are registered with the job manager:
- To register a stand-alone application server with the job manager, first use the registerNode command to register the stand-alone application server with the administrative agent. Then, use the administrative agent console or registerWithJobManager command to register the stand-alone application server target with the job manager.
- To register a deployment manager with the job manager, use the deployment manager console or the registerWithJobManager command.
- To register a host computer with the job manager, use the job manager console, the deployment manager console, or the registerHost command.
Start the job manager and the targets. If a target is a stand-alone application server, also start the administrative agent.
If we want the Inventory job to find installed Liberty resources, variables for the WLP_WORKING_DIR, WLP_SHARED_DIR, or WLP_ADDITIONAL_DIRS must be defined. See information about setting variables for Liberty servers.
Use the administrative console of the job manager or the deployment manager to submit a job that refreshes data on job types and on applications and servers of managed targets. From the console, choose the Inventory job, specify the targets, schedule the job, review the summary, and submit the job.
We do not need to run the Inventory job unless we installed a product that adds job types on a managed target. We can run the Status job to obtain the same data for managed resources without regathering the job type data.
Instead of using a console, we can run the inventory administrative job of the submitJob command in the AdministrativeJobs command group. See the Administrative job types topic.
The Inventory job cannot collect the Plugin profile and Appclient profile on IBM i systems.
- From the navigation tree of the administrative console, click...
Jobs > Submit
- Choose the Inventory job and click Next.
- Choose job targets.
- Select a group of targets from the list, or select Target names.
- If we selected Target names, then specify a target name and click Add, or click Find and specify the chosen targets on the Find targets page.
- If user authentication is required, specify a user name, password, or any other authentication values as needed.
- Click Next.
- On the Specify the job parameters page, specify job parameters if a target is a host. Only hosts have job parameters for the Inventory job.
If a target is a host, specify job parameters that provide information on the host such as operating system name, version, Installation Manager path, package group, packages, and profiles.
- Schedule the job and click Next.
- Review the summary, and click Finish to submit the job.
The job manager runs the job and refreshes data on job types and on applications and servers of the targets.
What to do next
On the Job status page, click the ID of the job and view the job status. If the job is not successful, view any error messages that result from running the job, correct the error condition, and submit the job again.
If the job is successful, the data on the Target resources page is updated. Click Jobs > Target resources to see the resource status.
Set up a job manager environment Set variables for Liberty servers Start and stop the job manager Start and stop the administrative agent Start and stop the deployment manager Checking job status Submitting jobs to collect status on managed servers and applications Administrative job types Find targets Find target resources Target resources collection