Migrate Data access resources
Various enterprise information systems (EIS) use different methods for storing data. These backend data stores might be relational databases, procedural transaction programs, or object-oriented databases.
The flexible IBM WebSphere Application Server provides several options for accessing an information system backend data store:
- Programming directly to the database through the Java DataBase Connectivity (JDBC) API.
- Programming to the transactional backend through various Java EE Connector Architecture (JCA) compliant connectors.
- Programming in the bean-managed persistence (BMP) bean or servlets indirectly accessing the backend store through either the JDBC API or JCA-compliant connectors.
- Use container-managed persistence (CMP) beans.
- Use the IBM data access beans, which also use the JDBC API, but give you a rich set of features and function that hide much of the complexity associated with accessing relational databases.
See Specifications and API documentation for supported versions of data access resources.
Service Data Objects (SDO) simplify the programmer experience with a universal abstraction for messages and data, whether the programmer thinks of data in terms of XML documents or Java objects. For programmers, SDOs eliminate the complexity of the underlying data access technology such as, JDBC, RMI/IIOP, JAX-RPC, and JMS, and message transport technology such as, java.io.Serializable, DOM Objects, SOAP, and JMS.
- Migrate applications to use data sources of the current Java EE Connector Architecture (JCA)
Migrate the applications that use Version 4 data sources, or data sources (WebSphere Application Server V4), to use data sources that support more advanced connection management features, such as connection sharing.
Specifications and API documentation
End-to-end paths for Data access resources
Data access resources
Administer Data access resources
Scripting for data access resources
Establishing high availability for Data access resources
Secure Data access resources
Develop data access resources
Tune Data access resources
Troubleshooting Data access resources