Migrate to WebSphere Application Server v8.5 Intelligent Management cells
Use the VEUpgrade command to migrate a previous release of WebSphere Virtual Enterprise to a WAS v8.5 Intelligent Management cell.
Update WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment v8.5.x to the latest maintenance level that is available. For more information about the latest fix packs, see the IBM Support Portal.
Avoid trouble: If we run VEUpgrade with no parameters to get command line help, existing migration logs are overwritten. To retain the migration logs, copy the logs to a backup directory.
First migrate the deployment manager. Then migrate each application server node one at a time.
Supported configurations: If we are migrating a WebSphere Virtual Enterprise v6.1.1.x or 7.0.0.x cell with middleware agents to WAS ND v8.5.x, the middleware agents are not migrated. The middleware agents remain at the previous version, and we can continue to use the middleware agents and use the IBM Update Installer to install fix packs to the middleware agents separately. However, v7 is the last full release of WebSphere Virtual Enterprise, and there are no further releases of the middleware agent. To manage middleware servers from a WAS Network Deployment v8.5 or later deployment manager, IBM recommends use the WAS node agent at the same release level. The node agent completely replaces the functions of the middleware agent.
Applications migrated from a WAS ND environment to a WAS Intelligent Management (ODRLIB) environment with an On Demand Router (ODR) will not have a default work class. The Java-based ODR will still route in absence of a default work class, however, the ODRLIB will not. For these migrated applications you will need to manually create default work classes.
- Run the backupConfig command on the deployment manager and all nodes.
- Install WASND v8.5.x on each deployment manager and node.
Specify a different installation location than the location in which the previous version exists.
- Use the Profile Management Tool or the manageprofiles command to create the profiles for v8.5.x, but do not federate the nodes.
- Migrate the deployment manager to the v8.5.x cell.
We can use the WASPreUpgrade and WASPostUpgrade commands. The WASPreUpgrade command saves the previous configuration to a migration-specific backup directory, and the WASPostUpgrade command retrieves the saved configuration.cd /opt/WebSphereV85/bin/ WASPreUpgrade.sh /mybackup/v70tov85dmgr01 /opt/WebSphereV70 \ -oldProfile 70dmgr01 WASPostUpgrade.sh /mybackup/v70tov85dmgr01 \ -profileName v70tov85dmgr01 \ -oldProfile 70dmgr01 \ -replacePorts TRUE \ -backupConfig TRUE \ -includeApps TRUE \ -scriptCompatibility TRUE \ -keepDmgrEnabled FALSE \ -username myuser \ -password mypass
- Use the VEUpgrade command to migrate the product configuration data from an existing WebSphere Virtual Enterprise v18.104.22.168, v6.1.1, or v7.0 deployment manager to v8.5.cd /opt/WebSphereV85/bin/ VEUpgrade.sh -userid myser-password mypass \ -sourcewashome/opt/WebSphereV70 \ -sourceprofilepath /opt/WebSphereV70/profiles/dmgr \ -targetprofilepath /opt/WebSphereV85/profiles/v70tov85dmgr01 \ -traceDir c:/opt/VELOGS/v70tov85dmgr01
- Migrate the remaining nodes one at a time. The procedure to migrate each node is similar to the preceding procedure, except WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment already exists in the environment, and you create custom profiles instead of a dmgr profile.
- Use the Profile Management Tool or the manageprofiles command to create a WAS Network Deployment custom profile.
- Migrate the node to the WAS Network Deployment v8.5.x cell. Run the WASPreUpgrade and WASPostUpgrade commands.
- Migrate the node to v8.5. Run the VEUpgrade command.
Avoid trouble: After you migrate an on-demand router (ODR) node, the ODR might not start. Stop and restart the ODR node once after migration, and the problem will not recur.gotcha
Your cell is now at v8.5 level.
Intelligent Management: VEUpgrade command
IBM Support Portal: Latest fix packs for WebSphere Application Server
Manage profiles Migrate cells using the command-line tools Task overview: Install WASPreUpgrade command WASPostUpgrade command