Migrate from WebSphere Virtual Enterprise
Migrating from WebSphere Virtual Enterprise involves copying the configuration from a previous release of WebSphere Virtual Enterprise into WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment v8.5.
We can perform an incremental migration of the WebSphere Virtual Enterprise Version 6.1.1.x or Version 7.0 configuration to WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment v8.5. As a result, the system temporarily operates in a mixed cell environment in which you migrate the deployment manager to WAS ND v8.5 before you migrate any nodes.
Best practice: Even though the method of incremental migration creates a mixed cell environment, avoid running the mixed cells for an extended period of time. You should have an existing plan in place to migrate the entire cell to the highest level to ensure consistent administration of the nodes.bprac
- Migrate the deployment manager to WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment v8.5.
The deployment manager must be at the highest release and fix level within the cell.
- Migrate the on demand routers (ODR) one at a time to WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment v8.5.
Each ODR must be at the same release and fix level as the deployment manager.
- Migrate the application server nodes one at a time.
- Migrate to WebSphere Application Server v8.5 Intelligent Management cells
- Migrate large topologies of external WebSphere application servers
- Intelligent Management: VEUpgrade command