Configure a dynamic cluster with heterogeneous nodes to support vertical stacking
We can configure vertical stacking for a dynamic cluster with nodes that each have different computing power by configuring custom properties for each node.
- Determine the stacking number for each of the dynamic cluster nodes. For more information, read about this task. If we determine that the application does not have an internal bottleneck when you perform application profiling, do not enable vertical stacking.
If the dynamic cluster is deployed to a group of nodes that are heterogeneous, configure the stacking number for each individual node. We can configure the stacking number for each node by creating custom properties on the dynamic cluster.
- Enable vertical stacking on the dynamic cluster.
- In the console, click Servers > Clusters > Dynamic clusters > cluster_name.
- To enable vertical stacking, click Allow more than one instance to start on the same node.
- Enter the number of instances to start on the same node. Set to the largest stacking number that you have determined for the nodes. When you define the individual stacking numbers as custom properties for each node, this value is overridden. However, if no custom property value is specified, the node uses the number of instances value defined on the console page.
- Create a custom property for the stacking number on one of the nodes. In the console, click Servers > Clusters > Dynamic clusters > cluster_name > Custom properties > New.
- Enter the name of the custom property. The name is numVerticalInstances.node, where node is the name of the node.
For example: If wer node is named node1, the name of the custom property is numVerticalInstances.node1.
- Enter the value of the custom property. The value of this custom property is the stacking number that you calculated for the specified node.
- Add a custom property that defines the stacking number for each one of the nodes in the dynamic cluster.
ExampleYou have determined that among the three nodes on which your dynamic cluster runs, that each node has a different stacking number.
To configure these stacking numbers in the console, use the following configuration:
Node name Stacking number node_1 3 node_2 5 node_3 8
- Set the number of instances value for the dynamic cluster to 8. The number of instances value must be greater than or equal to the largest stacking number.
- Specify the following custom properties:
- numVerticalInstances.node_1 = 3
- numVerticalInstances.node_2 = 5
- numVerticalInstances.node_3 = 8
What to do nextTune and monitor the application placement configuration.
Monitor and tune the application placement controller Determine the stacking number for a dynamic cluster Configure vertical stacking
Intelligent Management: dynamic cluster custom properties