Route requests directly from a web server to a back-end application server
Define a new custom property to configure the web server plug-in configuration to route requests directly from the web server to a back-end application server. We can configure certain requests to route through an on demand router (ODR) and configure other requests to route directly to a back-end application server.
Typically, an ODR acts as a gateway through which requests sent by a web server flow to a back-end application server. We can define the ODR_Module_Routing_Policy custom property for the plugin-cfg.xml file to redirect specific requests that we do not want to route through the ODR. Instead, the requests are routed directly from the web server to the back-end server. Alternatively, we can reset the custom property so that the ODR resumes intercepting requests.
The format of the custom property value is a comma-separated list of module paths, such as cell_name/app_name/edition/module_name=value.
- In the console, click System administration > Cell > Custom properties > New.
- Type ODR_Module_Routing_Policy as the name of the custom property.
- Type the value of the custom property.
- Set the value to cell_name/app_name/edition/module_name=direct to route requests directly to the back-end server.
- Set the value to cell_name/app_name/edition/module_name=ODR to route requests through the ODR before the back-end server receives the requests.
For example, if set the value to cell/app/edition/module=direct,cell/app2/edition/module=ODR, each module is configured independently as to whether requests for that module are sent through the ODR or directly to the back-end server. We can use a wildcard (*) in place of the app_name, edition, and module_name variables.
- Click Apply and save the changes.
In the following example, the custom property is set to route requests to a back-end application server. A wildcard is used in place of the app_name, edition, and module_name variables.
Overview of request flow prioritization
Configure an ODR to dynamically update the web server plug-in configuration
Intelligent Management: controlling the generation of the plugin-cfg.xml file