Manage middleware servers
To define middleware servers, we can use middleware server templates and middleware descriptors. To manage middleware servers defined, we can view the middleware server log files and configuration files and configure server operations to run on the middleware servers.
To configure middleware server templates, middleware server operations, the external configuration service, or the external log viewing service, create the middleware server. For more information, read about adding middleware servers to configurations.
We can configure middleware descriptors before or after you add the middleware servers.
- Configure middleware descriptors. If discovery applies to the specific platform, middleware descriptors provide information about the middleware platform, such as the installation location and the interval at which an installation can be discovered. For more information, read about configuring middleware descriptors.
- Define middleware server templates. By creating a middleware server template, you copy all of the configuration data for that server so that we can create other servers from the template. If we have many middleware servers with a similar configuration, middleware server templates can make this configuration easier. For more information, read about creating middleware server templates.
- Configure middleware server operations. Use wsadmin scripting to configure middleware server operations, or use the administrative console. Middleware operations can perform tasks such as enabling or disabling tracing, starting or stopping servers, or querying the running state of the server. For more information, read about configuring middleware server operations.
- View and edit configuration files for the middleware servers. We can specify the path for the configuration files to view or edit in the administrative console. For more information, read about viewing middleware server configuration files.
- Configure the external log viewing service. With the external log viewing service, we can view the log files from your middleware servers in the administrative console. For more information, read about configuring the external log viewing service.
- (dist)(zos) Intelligent Management: middleware server management administrative tasks
We can use the Jython and Jacl scripting languages to manage middleware servers with wsadmin.sh. Use commands in the MiddlewareServerManagement group.
- (dist)(zos) Configure middleware descriptors
Middleware descriptors provide information about different middleware platform types that includes middleware discovery intervals, enablement, and installation information.
- (dist)(zos) Intelligent Management: middleware descriptor administrative tasks
We can use the middleware descriptor administrative tasks to list the middleware descriptors and versions, display or change middleware descriptor information, and modify the middleware descriptor discovery interval.
- (dist)(zos) Create middleware server templates
By creating a middleware server template, you save a copy of server configuration data to use as a starting point when creating a server.
- (dist)(zos) Intelligent Management: middleware server template administrative tasks
Use middleware server template administrative tasks to create server templates for middleware servers that you have created.
- (dist)(zos) Configure middleware server operations
We can use server operations to run executable files on the middleware servers from the administrative console.
- (dist)(zos) View middleware server configuration files
We can view and edit configuration files for the middleware servers in the administrative console with the external configuration service.
- (dist)(zos) Intelligent Management: middleware server custom properties and variables
Middleware server variables and custom properties define properties for middleware servers, such as the maximum heap size for assisted lifecycle servers.
- (dist)(zos) Configure the external log viewing service
To view the log files for externally created middleware servers, configure the external log viewing service. By using this service, we can view the log files for servers with the administrative console instead of viewing the log files on each node.
Middleware nodes and servers
Create middleware server templates Configure middleware descriptors Configure middleware server operations View middleware server configuration files Configure the external log viewing service Add complete life-cycle middleware servers Add assisted lifecycle middleware servers Start the wsadmin scripting client Add middleware servers to configurations