Migrate to WebSphere Application Server v8.5 Intelligent Management cells on z/OS
Migration involves copying the configuration from a previous release of WebSphere Virtual Enterprise into WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, v8.5.
To migrate from WebSphere Virtual Enterprise V6.1.1 or V7.0 to WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, v8.5.x, you must have one of the following versions:
WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, v22.214.171.124 or later
WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, v126.96.36.199 with the latest interim fix
- WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, v188.8.131.52 or later with the latest interim fix
If we are migrating from WebSphere Virtual Enterprise Version 6.1.1, you must update WebSphere Application Server to Version 7.0.0.x before we can migrate to v8.5.x. After you update the product, start all servers on all nodes to incorporate the changes, then stop all servers.
For more information about these versions, see Latest fix packs for WebSphere Application Server.
To complete this task, you must have the user ID and password for the WAS Network Deployment, v8.5 environment.
Avoid trouble: If we run VEUpgrade with no parameters to get command line help, existing migration logs are overwritten. To retain the migration logs, copy the logs to a backup directory.gotcha
Supported configurations: If we are migrating a WebSphere Virtual Enterprise Version 6.1.1.x or 7.0.0.x cell with middleware agents to WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment v8.5.x, the middleware agents are not migrated. The middleware agents remain at the previous version, and we can continue to use the middleware agents and use the IBM Update Installer to install fix packs to the middleware agents separately. However, Version 7 is the last full release of WebSphere Virtual Enterprise, and there are no further releases of the middleware agent. To manage middleware servers from a WAS Network Deployment v8.5 or later deployment manager, IBM recommends that you use the WAS node agent at the same release level. The node agent completely replaces the functions of the middleware agent.
- Prepare to migrate the WAS Network Deployment cell. See Prepare to migrate a WAS, Network Deployment cell for z/OS.
- Migrate the deployment manager to v8.5.
- Migrate the deployment manager node as described in Migrate deployment managers for z/OS.
- To migrate the WebSphere Virtual Enterprise artifacts to the new WebSphere Application Server v8.5 cell, run the VEUpgrade command from the deployment manager node's bin directory. For example, run:cd V85_app_server_root/DeploymentManager/bin VEUpgrade.sh -userid adminUserID -password adminPW -sourcewashome old_app_server_root/DeploymentManager -sourceprofilepath old_app_server_root/DeploymentManager/profiles/default -targetprofilepath V85_app_server_root/DeploymentManager/profiles/default
- Start the deployment manager. The deployment manager must remain started until all nodes are migrated.
- Migrate the on-demand router (ODR) nodes one at a time to v8.5.
- Migrate the node as described in Migrate federated nodes for z/OS.
- To migrate the WebSphere Virtual Enterprise artifacts to the new WebSphere Application Server v8.5 cell, run the VEUpgrade command from the node's bin directory. For example, run:cd V85_app_server_root/profile_name/bin VEUpgrade.sh -userid adminUserID -password adminPW -sourcewashome old_app_server_root/profile_name -sourceprofilepath old_app_server_root/profile_name/profiles/default -targetprofilepath V85_app_server_root/profile_name/profiles/default
- Migrate the remaining application server nodes one at a time to v8.5 following the same process as for the ODR nodes.
- Stop and start the new v8.5 cell to incorporate your changes.
Your cell is now at v8.5 level.
Intelligent Management: VEUpgrade command
WebSphere Application Server Support Portal
Latest fix packs for WebSphere Application Server