Configure the IBM Toolbox for Java
The IBM Toolbox for Java is a library of Java classes that are optimized for accessing IBM i data and resources. We can use the IBM Toolbox for Java JDBC driver to access local or remote DB2 UDB for IBM i databases from server-side and client Java applications that run on any platform that supports Java.
Determine which version of the IBM Toolbox for Java to use on the system.
The IBM Toolbox for Java is available in these versions:
- IBM Toolbox for Java licensed program
- The licensed program is available with every IBM i release. We can install the licensed program on the IBM i system, and then either copy the IBM Toolbox for Java JAR file (jt400.jar) to the system or update the system classpath to locate the server installation. Product documentation for IBM Toolbox for Java is available from the IBM i Information Center: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/eserver/ibmi.html Locate the documentation by traversing the following path in the left-hand navigation window of the iSeries information center:
Programming > Java > IBM Toolbox for Java .
- JTOpen is the open source version of IBM Toolbox for Java, and is more frequently updated than the licensed program version. We can download JTOpen from http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/toolbox/downloads.htm. We can also download the JTOpen Programming Guide. The guide includes instructions for installing JTOpen and information about the JDBC driver.
The IBM Toolbox for Java JDBC driver is included with both versions of the IBM Toolbox for Java. This JDBC driver supports JDBC 3.0. For more information about IBM Toolbox for Java and JTOpen, see the product website at http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/toolbox/index.html.
(dist)(zos) Avoid trouble: For the product on platforms other than iSeries, use the JTOpen version of the Toolbox JDBC driver.gotcha
- (dist)(zos) Download the jt400.jar file from the JTOpen URL at http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/toolbox/downloads.htm.
Place it in a directory on the workstation such as /JDBC_Drivers/Toolbox.
- (iseries) Install the IBM Toolbox for Java licensed program.
The licensed program is available with every IBM i release. We can install the licensed program on the IBM i system, and then either copy the IBM Toolbox for Java JAR file (jt400.jar) to the system or update the system classpath to locate the server installation.
- Open the console.
- Select Environment > WebSphere variables.
- In the list of available scopes, select the appropriate node.
- Locate the WebSphere variable OS400_TOOLBOX_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH in the list of variables defined for that scope.
Depending on how many variables are defined for the selected node, we might have to navigate through multiple pages of variables to find the OS400_TOOLBOX_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH variable. In this situation, clicking the arrow at the bottom of the page takes you to the next page of variables for the selected node.
- Click OS400_TOOLBOX_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH in the name column.
- Set the value to the full directory path to the jt400.jar file downloaded in step one. Do not include jt400.jar in this value.
For example, if the fully qualified path to the jt400.jar file is:
Specify JDBC_Drivers/Toolbox as the value for the OS400_TOOLBOX_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH variable.
- Click Apply and then click Save to save the changes.