Submitting jobs to update Installation Manager on remote hosts for v8.5
In a flexible management environment, we can submit the Update IBM Installation Manager job to update the Installation Manager on registered hosts of the job manager.
Start the job manager and the targets. Ensure that the targets for which to update Installation Manager are registered with the job manager.
To submit jobs, the ID at the job manager must be authorized for the administrator role or the operator role. When you submit a job, we can specify a user name and password for authentication and authorization at the target or targets. When you submit a job to multiple targets, the user name and password or the credentials for the submitter must apply all of the job targets.
To run the job against a large number of targets, optionally create a group of targets and submit the job against the group.
(zos) Note: CIM jobs to install, uninstall, and update Installation Manager are not supported on z/OS targets. We must first install Installation Manager on z/OS targets before using CIM manage offerings jobs.
To review the Installation Manager license, perform the following steps:
- For the GUI (GUI), run the following command and follow the instructions:
- For the command line, run the following command and follow the instructions:
- installc.exe -c
We can use the console of the job manager or the deployment manager to submit the job. From the console, choose the Update IBM Installation Manager job, specify the targets, schedule the job, review the summary, and submit the job.
Instead of using a console, we can run the updateIM job script in the AdministrativeJobs command group. See the Administrative job types topic.
Supported configurations: IBM Installation Manager 1.5.2 or later is required.
- Click Jobs > Submit from the navigation tree of the console.
- Choose the Update IBM Installation Manager job and click Next.
- Choose job targets.
- Select a group of targets from the list, or select Target names.
- If we selected Target names, then specify a target name and click Add, or click Find and specify the chosen targets on the Find targets page.
- If user authentication is required, specify a user name, password, or any other authentication values as needed.
- Click Next.
- On the Specify the job parameters page, specify the location of the Installation Manager instance to update and the location of the repository containing the update. For the job to run successfully, you must select I accept the terms in the license agreements. Click Next. We can also update Installation Manager using an installation kit. Specify the existing installation location. Select the Update existing installation check box. If updating with an Installation Manager installation kit, specify the fully qualified local path and file name of the installation kit. If the field is left blank, the update IBM Installation Manager job will locate and use the most recent IBM Installation Manager installation kit available in the default location for installation kits: $JOB_MANAGER_HOME/IMKit.
- Schedule the job and click Next.
- Review the summary, and click Finish to submit the job.
The job runs and updates Installation Manager on the selected targets.
What to do next
On the Job status page, click the job ID and view the job status. Click the status refresh icon
to refresh the displayed job status.
If the job is not successful, view any error messages that result from running the job, correct the error condition, and submit the job again.
Manage Installation Manager using the job manager Start and stop the job manager
Administrative job types