Setting up IP addresses for high availability manager communications
There are situations where select a preferred IP address, or a range of IP addresses that you want the high availability manager to use for communication within a core group.
Before you beginDetermine the transport protocol the core group associated with the high availability manager uses for communications.
About this task
If the core group is configured to use a point to point protocol for its communications, for example, channel framework or unicast, you should only set a preferred IP address if you want to restrict the high availability manager communications to a specific IP address.
If the core group is configured to use a multicast transport for its communications, set a preferred IP address and specify a range of multicast group IP addresses.
- Configure a preferred IP address
- Make a list of all WebSphere processes on this machine. Include both application server processes and administrative processes, such as node agents or the deployment manager, in this list. If a preferred IP is set for one process on a machine, it should be set for all processes on that machine
- Determine the textual form of the preferred IP address. For example, 18.104.22.168 or 10.1.2.2.
- Update the IP address specified for the for the DCS unicast address for all processes identified in the first substep with the textual form of the preferred IP address.
- In the administrative console, for an application server process click Servers > Application servers, for a node agent process click System administration > Node agents, or for a deployment manager process click System administration > Deployment manager. Then select the appropriate process.
- Under Additional properties , click on Ports to bring up the list of ports for the selected process and then click on the port named DCS_UNICAST_ADDRESS.
- Enter the preferred IP address in the Host field and then click Apply to save your changes.
Following are the allowed values for the Host field:
- * (an asterisk), which allows high availability manager communications on all NICs. This is the default value, but cannot be used if your processes must interact with V6 or V6.0.1 processes.
- Text IP address, such as 10.1.1.2, which restricts high availability manager communications to the specified NIC. Text IP addresses can be used if the host is configured to use either a single IP address or multiple IP addresses.
- A string host name of the form myhost.mydomain . A string host name cannot be used if the host is configured to use multiple IP addresses.
- Specify a range of multicast group IP addresses for the high availability manager to use. If the core group transport is configured as multicast, associate a range of IP address with the NIC to be used for high availability manager communications. You must use core group properties to specify this range of IP addresses. Do not specify them on a per process basis.
- In the administrative console, click Servers > Core groups > Core group settings
- Select the desired core group.
- Specify the first IP address in the range associated with the NIC the high availability manager should use in the Multicast group IP start field
- Specify the last IP address in the range associated with that NIC in the Multicast group IP end field.
- Click Apply and then Save to save your changes.
What to do nextThe high availability manager uses the specified IP address or address range for communication within the core group.