Creating customized profiles
The Installation Factory captures the configuration of an existing application server profile and bundles it with an installation image, maintenance packages, and user files and scripts. The resulting bundled model environment is a customized installation package, or CIP. An installer can use a CIP to install an exact replica of the model application serving environment, with identically installed maintenance packages, configured profiles, and deployed applications.
Before you begin
The installer can use the enhanced Profile Creation wizard in the CIP to create profiles and automatically restore the profile customizations that are included in the CIP. Or, the installer can use the wasprofile command to perform the same tasks manually from the command line.
If you cannot use the Profile Creation wizard, use the wasprofile command to restore the customized profiles as described in Creating customized CIP profiles from the command line .
You must have previously installed a CIP to create CIP profiles and restore customizations that are included in the CIP.
Configuration archives are available for use in a CIP only when WAS Network Deployment is bundled with maintenance at the V22.214.171.124 level or higher. As you might expect, the configuration archive file must export from a system that has maintenance applied at a maintenance level of V126.96.36.199 or higher.
If you are restoring a customized profile that uses messaging, also include a script to configure the service integration bus (SIB). The original SIB configuration is not portable and, therefore, is not included in the CIP.
About this task
The series of configuration events for using a configuration archive and other CIP customizations is shown in the following V6.x. example:
- An expert installs V6.x.
- The expert installs Refresh Pack 2 (or higher) for V6.x to raise the model system to the Version 6.x.2 maintenance level.
- The expert installs Fix Pack 5 or a later fix pack for V6.x.2 to raise the model system to the required Version 6.x.2.5 or later maintenance level.
- The expert creates a default (stand-alone application server) profile, deploys applications, and makes other configuration changes.
- The expert creates a configuration archive of the default profile using the AdminTask exportWasprofile command.
Note: The first steps above are optional and are only required if a configuration archive needs to be exported for inclusion in a CIP. If configuration archive customization is not required, then the steps above can be omitted.
- The expert uses the Installation Factory to create a CIP that includes the 6.x product image.
The CIP optionally includes a refresh pack as well as a fix pack.
- The expert optionally includes scripts to run during install time or uninstall time.
- The expert optionally includes the configuration archive in the CIP when configuration profile customization for the Stand Alone Application Server config.
- You can only include EARs for any of the three types of profile customization (stand-alone, deployment manager, managed).
- You can include scripts for all profile types.
- The expert optionally includes additional files to be installed on the system.
- The expert distributes the CIP to installers who require the pre-configured system for their users.
- The installers install the CIP.
- The installers use the specialized Profile creation wizard in the CIP to create any of the profile types: cell, stand-alone application server, deployment manager, managed. If a the stand-alone profile is chosen and a configuration archive is present, it will be automatically restored.
* The enhanced Profile Creation wizard exists only when there is a customization for a profile. If no customization exists, this enhanced Profile Creation wizard is not present in the CIP. In such a case, the checkbox at the end of the CIP installation wizard opens the normal Profile Creation wizard.
Table 1. Profile Creation wizard locations and functions Profile Creation wizard Location Creates Customized Profiles? Creates Normal Profiles? Enhanced IF version Launch the Profile Creation wizard check box at the end of the CIP installation. (cip_app_server_root/ProfileCreator/) Yes No * Enhanced IF version cip_app_server_root/ProfileCreator/ Yes No * Product version cip_app_server_root/bin/ProfileCreator/ No Yes Profile version cip_app_server_root/profiles/profile_name/bin/ProfileCreator/ No Yes
A configuration archive is available for an application server CIP profile only. A special profile template enables the importation of a configuration archive file into the application server profile.
Use the enhanced Profile Creation wizard to create profiles that accept configuration actions that are included in the CIP. Use the minimal default profile template to create an application server when you are restoring a configuration archive file. If the customizations do not restore a CAR, the normal application server template creates the application server profile. Either type of application server profile accepts other configuration actions in the CIP that might deploy EAR files and run scripts.
Table 2. Allowed customizations CIP Profile Type Include and Run Scripts Include and Deploy an Enterprise Archive (EAR) Include and Restore a Configuration Archive (CAR) Deployment manager
Yes No No Stand-alone application server
Yes Yes Yes Custom
Yes No No
- Create and augment an application server profile that includes a CAR file.
Choose the application server profile in the enhanced Installation Factory version of the Profile Creation wizard.
The Profile Creation wizard automatically augments the profile with any customizations that exist for the default application server profile.
- Create and augment an application server profile that does not include a CAR file.
Choose the application server profile in the enhanced Profile Creation wizard. The Profile Creation wizard uses the appropriate profile to create an application server that does not require the CAR, but that still accepts other customizations.
The enhanced Profile Creation wizard automatically augments the profile with any customizations that exist for the application server profile.
- Create and augment a deployment manager profile.
Choose the deployment manager profile in the enhanced Installation Factory version of the Profile Creation wizard.
The enhanced Profile Creation wizard automatically augments the profile with any customizations that exist for the deployment manager profile.
- Create and augment a custom profile.
Choose the custom profile in the enhanced Installation Factory version of the Profile Creation wizard.
The enhanced Profile Creation wizard automatically augments the profile with any customizations that exist for the custom profile.
After creating the profile and restoring the customizations, the installation should have a profile that is configured like the profile in the model product installation that was the pattern for the CIP. Existing customizations for a profile template apply to any profiles that you create with the enhanced Profile Creation wizard.
To create a profile without the exact same customizations, in other words, a normal profile, use the normal product Profile Creation wizard in the cip_app_server_root\profiles\profile_name\bin\ProfileCreator directory.