- WAS Express
Lightweight server for static content, servlets, and JSP files, but does not support enterprise beans.
For single-server production scenarios. Presumes a single-server environment without no clustering for failover or workload balancing, and no centralized administration of multiple server instances. However, you can add a stand-alone node to a centrally administered network (the cell) at any time after installing the next product, which controls the cell.
- WAS Network Deployment
For appservers running in multiple-server production scenarios. Provides centralized administration, as well as basic clustering and caching support.
- WAS Enterprise
Contains programming functions for business process management, integration adapters, rules management, and message transformations.
The Network Deployment CD-ROM contains...
- The Application Clients installation image with support for J2EE Application Client 2, CORBA and ActiveX client run times.
- The WAS product installation image contains the core appserver runtime, a native JMS provider (the embedded messaging feature), IBM HTTP Server, IBM Developer Kit, IBM Cloudscape, XML and XSL parsers, the application assembly tool (AAT) in V5.0 only, the deployment tool, the node agent for communicating to the deployment manager when it is part of a cell, and the external adapter library for proxy caching enablement.
The application assembly tool is no longer a feature of the base WAS product beginning with Version 5.1. The assembly toolkit replaces the application assembly tool. The assembly toolkit is available on the IBM WAS Toolkit CD-ROM in the product package and at: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&context=SSEQTP&q=ASTK&uid=swg24005125&loc=en_US . The assembly toolkit consists of the J2EE Perspective of the WebSphere Studio Application Developer product, including code generation capabilities.
- The Deployment Manager product installation image contains the deployment manager configured for use in departmental production computing scenarios. It includes the embedded messaging client feature, the Version 2 compliant universal description, discovery, and identification (UDDI) registry feature, and the Web services gateway feature. Although the Network Deployment package includes the base Application Server CD-ROM, installing the Network Deployment product does not install the base Application Server product. You must use the base product CD-ROM to install the base product.
- The Edge components installation image contains IBM HTTP Server, and edge of network support for the Load Balancer (Dispatcher) and Caching Proxy (edge caching), as well as support for network authentication and single sign-on.
- The Enterprise installation image in V5.0 contains programming model extensions to the core Application Server, such as business rule beans and process choreographer, and deployment manager extensions for administering functions included in the programming model extensions. The Enterprise product supports an umbrella installation, which automatically installs the base product in the same installation procedure.
Although the Enterprise package includes the Network Deployment product CD-ROM, installing the Enterprise product does not install the Network Deployment product. You must use the Network Deployment product CD-ROM to install the Network Deployment product.
If you install the Enterprise product on a machine with an installed Network Deployment product, the Enterprise product extends the Network Deployment administrative console.
Although the Enterprise package includes a separate base WAS product CD-ROM, installing the Enterprise product on a clean machine automatically installs the base Application Server product in an umbrella installation.
If you install the Enterprise product on a machine with an installed base Application Server product, the Enterprise product extends the base Application Server product, while automatically installing any base product features that the Enterprise product requires.
- The WebSphere MQ and WebSphere MQ Event Broker installation images in V5 provide the non-embedded full-function WebSphere MQ Queue Manager for reliable, dynamically load balanced asynchronous messaging for more than 35 platforms.
Included with all packages are the Data Direct Technologies JDBC Drivers and the IBM WAS Toolkit (ASTK) CD-ROMs.
Also included with the Version 5.1 base product and the Network Deployment product are the WAS, Version 5 for iSeries CD-ROMs. The Enterprise product for V5.1 is not supported on iSeries servers at this time.