Manage user profiles
Note that User Profile Manager API is deprecated in the current release, and there is no replacement available.
IBM WebSphere Application Server provides a service for processing user profiles, called the User Profile Manager. The service is provided in the form of an EJB entity bean that servlets can call whenever they are required to access a user profile.
The key activities for implementing user profiles are summarized.
- Customize the user profile support as necessary.Options include...
- Using the data representation class with the name-value pairs it currently supports (no action required)
- Extending the data representation class to support additional, arbitrary name-value pairs
- Adding columns to the base user profile representation
- Extending the User Profile enterprise bean to import existing databases
Evaluate whether the user profile representation provided by IBM represents the kind of data you want to keep about your users. You might find it desirable to customize the IBM user profile support.
- Create or modify servlets to use the User Profile Manager and related user profile support classes to maintain user profiles on behalf of Webapplications.
- Assemble your application.
- Deploy your application.
- Ensure the administrator appropriately configures User Profile Managers using userprofile.xml file. If the programmer and administrator are not the same person, the programmer might need to provide settings information to the administrator, based on how the programmer implemented user profiles.
See AlsoUser profile
User profile development options