Sharing files with your communityShare files from the Files application with members of your community. You can also upload files to a community from your local file system.
Before you beginAny community member can share files with a community from the Files application. Members with Editor access can also upload files to the community. Your community must contain the Files widget for you to be able to share files with the community. The widget is automatically added to a community when it is first created, but if it has been removed, you can add it to the community again. For information about adding widgets to a community, see Add widgets to your community.
File owners can also share files with a community or give a copy of a file to a community directly from the Files application. Anyone can share files with a community to which they have access, but only the community owner and the file owner can remove the file reference from the community. For more information about sharing files with a community from Files, see How do I share files?
About this taskThe Files widget allows community members to share local files and files from the Files application with the rest of the community. Sharing files is a great way to foster collaboration within a community. By encouraging members to upload files to the community, you can work together on shared documents and build up a valuable repository of information that is accessible from within the community.
- The type of files that you can share depends on the type of community that you want to share the files with. A public community can contain only public files, and a restricted community can contain either public or private files.
- If your community has a media gallery, upload photo and video files from the media gallery instead of the Files widget to access extra functionality for working with multimedia files. For more information, see Uploading content to the media gallery.
ProcedureTo share files with your community...
- From the Files widget on the Overview page, click Share Files.
Note: If you are the first person to share files with the community, click Share Your First File.
- Do one of the following:
- To upload a file from your local file system:
- Click Browse files on my computer.
- Click Browse to find the file that you want to share.
- Edit the file name if necessary, enter some tags in the Tags field, and then click Upload.
- To share a file from the Files application:
- Select the type of file that you want to share from the options displayed on the left of the window.
Table 1. File-sharing options
Option Description Recent Files Files recently uploaded to the Files application. Pinned Files Files that you marked as prioritized in the Files application. My Files Files that you uploaded to the Files application. Shared With Me Files shared with you from the Files application. Other People's Files Other people's public files or files that they shared with you from the Files application. Pinned Folders Folders that you prioritized in the Files application. My Folders Files from your personal folders in the Files application. Shared Folders Files from shared folders in the Files application.
- Select a file or files from the list that displays, and click Share Files.
- If you do not see the file that you are looking for, enter the file name in the search field at the top of the dialog and click the search icon. icon.
Parent topicAdd files to a community
Add widgets to your community
Manage access to community files
Downloading community files
Work with community files
How do I share files?
Uploading content to the media gallery
File Type Size File Name Created On image/x-png 1 KB iconSearch16.png 4/6/11 6:57 PM