Create a community activityAdd activities to your community to provide community members with a place to assign tasks and to share information and resources. When you start an activity from a community, you can grant access to the activity to all community members, or you can restrict access to a subset of members.
Before you beginFor community members to create activities, a community owner must first add the Activities widget to the community. For more information, see Add widgets to your community.
About this taskCreating an activity is a useful way to share to-do items, post event information, and organize meetings within a community. Creating an activity is easy: Just click a button and fill out a form. There are no required fields. You can edit the activity later to add or change information.
If you want, you can create an activity from a template. A template captures the tasks required to complete a specific job. For example, a patent template might link to the files, databases, tools, or websites that an inventor seeking a patent would need. It might also capture a list of to-do items that an inventor would need to complete as part of the patent application process.
Activity owners can also share activities with a community from the Activities application. When an activity owner shares an activity with a community, a link to the activity displays in the community. A linked icon displays next to the activity title to indicate that it is a shared activity. For information about sharing an activity with a community, see Starting an activity.
ProcedureTo create a community activity...
- On the community's Overview page, click Start an Activity in the Activities area.
When you are creating the first community activity, the link displays as Create Your First Activity.
- If you are not already logged in, you are prompted for a user name and password. Provide the requested information, and then click Log In.
- In the Name field, type a short name that describes the purpose of the activity.
- In the Tags field, type a tag term. As you type, a list of matching tags from the tag collection is displayed. Click a tag to add it, or keep typing to add a tag that is not in the list. Separate multiple tags with commas.
- Add members to the activity by doing one of the following:
- To add all members of the community to the activity as authors, accept the default option, Allow all members of this community access in the activity as Author.
- To add a subset of community members to the activity as authors:
- Select Allow only the following community members access in the activity as, and ensure that Author is selected from the drop-down list.
- To add all community members or a subset of members to the activity in a role other than author:
- Select Allow only the following community members access in the activity as.
- Click the Down arrow next to the Author field, and then select Owner or Reader.
- Select the check box next to each member who you want to add to the activity.
Note: Community owners are not listed because they are automatically added to community activities by default.
- In the Activity goal field, enter a description of the activity. Provide a sentence or two that summarizes the goal of the activity, its audience, or the type of content that you want members to add to it.
- In the Due date field, add the date by which this activity must be completed. Type the date, or select it from the calendar control provided.
- To create the activity from a template:
- Expand Template options.
- Click Pick an activity template to see a list of available templates. When you select a template, a description of the template is displayed. If you choose not to use a template, select None from the list.
- Click Save to finish creating the activity.
ResultsAfter you save the activity, it opens in the Activities user interface where you can start to add entries and to-do items. Community members receive an email message to notify them that they have been added to the new activity. For information on how to work with your activities, click the Help link in the navigation bar at the top of the page. You can return to the community at any time using the navigation links that display at the side of the page.
What to do nextFrom the community, you can do the following:
- Click Start an Activity to create another activity.
- Click Activities to display the full list of activities associated with the community.
Parent topicWork with community activities
Add members to a community activity
Starting an activity
Add widgets to your community
Manage community activities