IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Application Diagnostics, Version 18.104.22.168
Configure monitoring agent settings and communication with the monitoring server using GUI - WAS agent
If the IBM Tivoli Monitoring infrastructure is used, you must configure Monitoring Agent settings before configuring the data collector to monitor any application server instances. You also need to configure Monitoring Agent communication to the monitoring server. Do not perform this configuration in a deep dive diagnostics only installation, where IBM Tivoli Monitoring is not used.
You can change the port used for communication between the data collector and the monitoring agent (this communication is on the local host. The default port is 63335. You can set an alternate node name that determines how the agent will be displayed in the Tivoli Enterprise Portal navigation tree.
While you can change these settings at a later time, it is normally most convenient to set them when initially configuring the communication. In this case no changes to existing data collector configuration files is required to change the port number, and no customization of the Tivoli Enterprise Portal view could have been performed by any user. So, if you need to make such changes, make them at installation time if possible.
To configure Monitoring Agent settings and communication with the monitoring server:
- Enter the Agent Configuration window.
- Select Configure Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Agent (TEMA) and click Next.
- In the agent Configuration page, you can set an alternative Node ID for identifying the agent. This is the identifier that will determine how the agent is displayed in the Tivoli Enterprise Portal navigation tree. Default Primary, used in conjunction with the host name of the computer where the agent is installed. In the Port field, you can specify a TCP socket port that the monitoring agent will use to listen for connection requests from the data collectors. Normally, do not change this value. The port will only be used for local communication on the host.
If you install more than one copy of the monitoring agent on a single host, set the Alternative Node ID parameter to different values for each of the copies. Otherwise, the multiple copies of the monitoring agent will not work correctly with Tivoli Monitoring.
Enter the Node ID if necessary; change the port number if necessary. Click Next.
Valid characters for the node ID include A-z, a-z, 0-9, underbar (_), dash (-), and period (.); do not use other characters.
- In the next step, you can choose to create a response file to save your configuration settings. You can use the response file to perform a silent configuration with the same parameters.
To create a response file, check the box Save your settings in a response file and click Browse to select the file location, then click Next. Otherwise, leave the box unchecked and click Next.
- The monitoring agent is successfully configured.
- The TEMS Connection window is displayed.
- Enter the Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server (TEMS) host name, and select the protocol for connection with the Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Server. If the connection must pass through a firewall with address translation, select IP.PIPE and check the box Use Address Translation.
Specify protocol parameters and, if necessary the secondary protocols and secondary TEMS host.
If IBM Tivoli Monitoring is not used (in a deep dive diagnostics only installation), check No TEMS in this window, and click Save.
Parent topic:Configure the agent using GUI