IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Application Diagnostics, Version 184.108.40.206
Performing a silent installation and configuration - J2EE Agent
The ITCAM for J2EE data collector supports silent installation and configuration. In a silent installation/configuration, predefined parameters replace user interface interactions. Silent installation and configuration is useful for advanced users who prefer to input installation and configuration information once through a response file instead of repeatedly inputting data in an installation procedure.
Before editing the response file, note the following syntax rules:
- Comment lines begin with a number sign (#).
- Blank lines are ignored.
- Parameter lines are PARAMETER=value.
- Do not use a space before the parameter; you can use a space before or after an equal sign (=)
- Do not use any of the following characters in any parameter value:
- Dollar sign ($)
- Equal sign (=)
- Pipe sign (|)
The following notes apply to silent installation and configuration:
- By default, the installer will create log files in the following directory: C:\IBM\tivoli\common\CYN\logs.
- By default, the configuration program will create the garbage collection logs in the file DC_home/ServerTypeServerVersion-gc-log.log.InstanceName.
- If you are using a startup script, the configuration program will produce a copy of the script as it was before the configuration. If a failure occurs after the configuration, you can use this copy of the script to switch back to the configuration of the application server before it was modified by the installer. The copy of the startup script will be named with a .orig extension. If the data collector configuration fails, no copy of the startup script gets produced, because the installer will not modify the original file.
You have the option to only install the data collector, both install and configure the data collector, or only configure the data collector using this procedure. If you only want to configure the data collector, perform this procedure after the data collector has been installed.
To run the silent installation command:
- Log on to the computer on which you want to install and configure the data collector as a user with the proper permissions (see Summary of permissions required for installing and configuring the data collector).
- Start the instance of the application server to be monitored by the data collector.
- If Terminal Services is enabled on Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 Server: put the server into installation mode. Run the following command:change user /install
Ignore the message:Install mode does not apply to a Terminal server configured for remote administration.
- Check the following Web site to see if the latest level of maintenance (such as fix packs or interim fixes) needs to be applied:
If there is no maintenance you need to apply, you have the option to perform both the installation and configuration by running the executable file once and using one response file.
If there is maintenance you need to apply, run the installation and configuration separately. After you perform the silent installation and before you perform the silent configuration, apply the latest level of maintenance.
- If you will be configuring, or installing and configuring, the data collector, perform the applicable pre-configuration steps for the application server:
Pre-configuration steps for application servers
Application server type Pre-configuration steps WebLogic If a customized script is used for starting the server, see Pre-configuration steps for supporting customized startup script for WebLogic NetWeaver No pre-configuration steps required JBoss See Pre-configuration steps for Tomcat users
If a customized script is used for starting the server, also see Pre-configuration steps for supporting customized startup script for JBoss
If the Java Wrapper Service for Tomcat is used, also see Pre-configuration steps for supporting Java Service Wrapper for Tomcat
Tomcat If a customized script is used for starting the server, see Pre-configuration steps for supporting customized startup script for Tomcat Oracle No pre-configuration steps required J2SE See Pre-configuration steps for J2SE users
- Specify configuration options in one of the following response file templates and save the file:
Response file templates
Application server type Sample response file WebLogic DC61_weblogic.opt NetWeaver DC61_netweaver.opt JBoss DC61_jboss.opt Tomcat DC61_tomcat.opt Oracle DC61_oracle.opt J2SE DC61_j2se.opt
The file is located in /path/to/install/silent. See the following sections for guidance on how to modify the file:
Application server specific configuration optionsfor Windows
Application Server Silent Installation Response File Settings WebLogic Silent installation and configuration settings for WebLogic WebLogic Portal Server Silent installation and configuration settings for WebLogic Portal Server NetWeaver Silent installation and configuration settings for NetWeaver JBoss Silent installation and configuration settings for JBoss Tomcat Silent installation and configuration for Tomcat Oracle Silent installation and configuration for Oracle J2SE Silent installation and configuration for J2SE
- If you are performing only the installation, options for the configuration will be ignored when running the silent installation.
- If you are performing only the configuration, options for the installation will be ignored when running the silent configuration.
- Optionally, you can use response files created by the GUI installation and configuration programs. Perform the following steps to make one response file from two generated response files:
- In both the Installation program and the Configuration tool, when the Save settings to the response file option is shown, select it and enter a file path name.
- With a text editor, copy and paste the contents of the response file generated from the installation program into the response file generated by the configuration program.
- Save the newly created response file with a unique name or in another location. Enter the name of this response file in in Step 8.
- Complete one of the following steps:
Whether to use setup_DC_w32.exe or config_dc.bat
To install or install and configure the data collector If you only want to configure the data collector Use the command-line interface to access the directory that contains the installation executable file. The setup_DC_w32.exe file is located in this directory. Go to the DC_home/installer/config_dc directory. The config_dc.bat file is located in this directory.
- Type the following command and press Enter:executable_file -silent [-is:log [log_file_name]] [configuration_option...] -options response_file
The executable_file specifies either setup_DC_w32.exe or config_dc.bat.
The log_file_name specifies the path and name of the log file that the silent installer will write to. The file will be created even if it does not yet exist or if no name is specified. Wrap the path in double-quotes if it contains spaces.
The configuration_option specifies one or more configuration options not included in the response file.
The response_file specifies the response file you configured in Step 6. Indicate the path and name of the file. Wrap the path in double-quotes if it contains spaces.
For example:setup_DC_w32.exe -silent -is:log "C:\log\DClog.txt" -V DC_ASL_SOAPPORT="8885" -options C:\itcam\images\silent\DC6.optconfig_dc.bat -silent -V DC_ASL_SOAPPORT="8885" -options C:\itcam\images\silent\DC6.opt
- Configuration options specified in the response file take precedence over those entered in the command line. For a particular command-line configuration option to take effect, first nullify that option in the response file by commenting it out with a number sign (#).
- If you are performing a silent configuration (after the data collector has been installed), you cannot use the -is option. Instead run the command in the following way:config_dc.bat -silent [configuration_option...] -options response_fileFor example:config_dc.bat -silent -V DC_ASL_SOAPPORT="8885" -options C:\itcam\images\silent\DC6.opt
- If you have performed only a silent installation (you indicated LAUNCH_CONFIG="false"), check the C:\IBM\tivoli\common\CYN\logs\trace-install.log file to find out whether the installation was successful.
- If you have just performed a silent installation (and are about to perform configuration) and there is maintenance you need to apply, do so from the following Web site:
- If you have performed a silent configuration, or instalation and configuration, perform the applicable post-configuration steps for the application server:
- See Post-configuration steps for ITCAM for J2EE data collector
- If the application server uses Sun JDK 1.5 or HP JDK 1.5, see Post-configuration steps for all application servers using Sun JDK 1.5 or HP JDK 1.5
- If the application server uses any version of the Sun JDK, see Post-configuration steps for all application servers using Sun JDK
- Server-specific steps as per the folowing table:
Post-configuration steps for application servers
Application server type Pre-configuration steps WebLogic See Post-configuration steps for WebLogic users NetWeaver See Post-configuration steps for NetWeaver JBoss No post-configuration steps required Tomcat See Post-configuration steps for Tomcat users Oracle See Post-configuration steps for Oracle users J2SE See Post-configuration steps for J2SE
- See Additional post-configuration tasks
- Start the Application Monitor interface of the Managing Server and verify that you can see the monitored data.
- Silent installation and configuration settings for WebLogic
- Silent installation and configuration settings for WebLogic Portal Server
- Silent installation and configuration settings for NetWeaver
- Silent installation and configuration settings for JBoss
- Silent installation and configuration for Tomcat
- Silent installation and configuration for Oracle
- Silent installation and configuration for J2SE
Parent topic:Install the ITCAM for J2EE data collector on Windows